Parking Brake Cables '76 C20 CCLB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
Hi,

I have a new to me '76 CCLB C20. My parking brake cable broke the other day as it was very rusty.

I'm looking to get a replacement, but I'm slightly confused.

The break in the line is here- (original pic from LMC truck)

You must be registered for see images attach

questions-

• my truck is a CCLB. VIN says the truck should be a 350, but it has a 454 in it. Do I need a 350 cable or 454 cable? what is the difference?
  • LMC doesn't really list part numbers for the crewcabs, slightly confused here on what I need.
  • in the future, I will be cutting the truck to a shortbed. While we are on the subject of parking brakes, does anyone know how to hook it up with a short bed? Is the crewcab cable specific to crewcab, then the bed cables are specific to long bed/shortbed? That would be great if so.

EDIT- looking at rockauto it appears I'm looking for a 200" cable. And indeed, the intermediate cable is reg cab or crewcab, and the rear cables are longbed/short bed. Anyone can confirm??

TIA

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Does this call for the same cable on a Regular Cab Long Bed that you need? I'm not sure where the truck length is made up, but I have a spare 85 C20 Long Bed that has the the Park Brake Cables on it still. If it's the same, and you give me a couple weeks to get out to my dads, I can get the cable off the frame and you cover shipping. It'll probably fit in a small flat rate USPS box.

This bed has long been sold too, so it shouldn't be to hard to pull this cable.

Attachments

• zz84C20Teardown 018a.jpg
    zz84C20Teardown 018a.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 171

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
I'm going to try and get some new ones- I appreciate the offer.

Good to grab a 200" cable and see how that works.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have a '75 long bed, and the entire cable was missing from mine. IIRC I just bought a cable for the '75 long bed, and then I made the retainers (item 9) out of 1/4" rod I bought from Lowes.

I know they list a lot of different cables, but the key point is whether you can smoothly retain it in a square shape so that when you push down the brake it will let the cable slide and pull on both rear brakes.

I would measure the length of the broken cable, call LMC to find out the length of the cables they sell, and just match it with the year and length. I assume the cables are different lengths from SWB to LWB to CC, since the frame is different length on all of those trucks. I think all you need is the intercable, unless one of the rear cables also broke.

Are you saying you want to keep it a CC and then eventually put a short box on it? I would strongly discourage shortening a CC frame down to a short bed unless you are really good at welding. You need to cut the center out of the frame and weld it back together, which requires some good welding skills to keep it strong.

Bruce

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
it was indeed a 200" cable. got it swapped.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Glad you got it handled. I did check my C20 truck frame for that cable when I was out there a couple days ago and I do have it if you needed it for back up plan. Guess I get to keep it afterall.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
The new cable was $9 so it wasn't expensive to just buy new.

And I only need it for a few months anyways and I'll have to find a shorter one.

Unless I can find a cable that is 172".

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
$9 isn't bad at all. For sure, new was the way to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike