PANEL REPLACE OR CAB SWAP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
So I am working on an '86 K10 that must have lived in a salt state at one point in its years. The cab has some cancerous rust in cab corners, rockers, door skins, and at the bottom drivers corner of the windshield.

Initially I was thinking about cutting out and welding in panels. But my partner in crime thinks we should just do a full cab swap.

Thoughts?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If the floor pan and firewall especially around the bulkhead connector and brake booster area are still solid, I’d do the patchwork. My brother had/has a C-cab swap to a K-frame project going that he’s let fall by the wayside due to laziness/being a jackass. Or a *******. There are some beautiful original parts there, and they’re just going to hell. He’s already smashed a wing window from being too hard on it and smashed an original taillight out with the tractor. I don’t know what else he’s tore up. Pisses me off every time I see it. I think I’m gonna buy him out of it someday soon or see if he’ll give it away to me. Anyways, I’m not at all saying that’ll be you, but the cab swap has a lot of nuts and bolts housekeeping stuff unrelated to your rust issue to keep in mind.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
If you're skilled with the welder then it would be an easier job to patch her all up. As mentioned before the nuts, bolts, wires, and time involved leave a large gap for error or the project falling to the wayside.

I would look for decent rust free doors and maybe swap those out.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
If you're skilled with the welder then it would be an easier job to patch her all up. As mentioned before the nuts, bolts, wires, and time involved leave a large gap for error or the project falling to the wayside.

I would look for decent rust free doors and maybe swap those out.
I agree with @Crispy. I have had a couple projects go south because it got too overwhelming when it was going back together. It is really an act of dedication to see a big project like a cab swap all through. My truck is a project but I learned a long time ago so I am trying to do one or two things at a time so I can still drive it on a regular basis. Good luck whatever you decide.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I've grown into this preference with my vehicles now. For me, if I can drive it I feel more motivated to "finish" it (quotes because we all know they are never really finished).

A long term project is a different story, or a ground up resto.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I've done all the patching, I even have videos on it.

Having done it, I can say, in the future, I'll just swap cabs.

I wound up spending about 700 on tools, panels, materials, etc etc. I could have went to Arkansas, where my sister in law lives, hung out with family, had a cool roadtrip, and bought a cab for 350, that unpatched, will always be better than my patched one.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
50% rule, if you have to patch more than 50% of the sheetmetal, replace the cab.
Doors don't count as they are bolt on.

I hate bodywork and rust repair, and have little experience with it

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I can’t give an honest suggestion until I see pics. I can blah blah blah you to sleep how you should do this or that but with out pics is pointless. Post sum up and let’s have a look see.:D

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Cab swap.....been there and done that. My swap (84 cab to an 87)...was decided upon due to extensive hail damage and rust in the critical corners and structural parts of the cab and roof. It's not that difficult. Once you do it, youll never waste time patching a cancerous cab

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat