paint for inner fenders, firewall etc. what did you use and how did it hold up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Ok since Dave has a thread about frames and I'm going to do my firewall and inner fenders and such, I want to see what kinda paint you guys have used and held up.

I've used several and tried them, mostly spray cans, after a few years they get dull and look bad.

Now does the engine enamel hold up better for inners and firewall? Not on the block. Does it stay black and shiney?

rustoleum brush on or spray can?

I really don't want to look into por15 or something similar like zero rust, too expensive.

How about reg. auto exterior paint?

I want something to last and stay nice and black and shiney.

I got a quart of rusto, gonna try it, but thinking maybe some rusto spray or krylon for the inners, maybe automotive spray mixed at the body shop supply.

I know the krylon and other sprays cans have turned dull over a couple years on me, but the auto paint in the spray cans might work. it just aint cheap LOL.

I kinda hope the rust quart will work, but not sure. I did my frame with it last year and under bed.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Are you stripping everything out to paint it or are you painting around ****? :popcorn:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I know you said no to POR-15 but just want to throw out there that dad did the whole underside of his truck- frame, underside of bed, underside of cab, inner fenders, etc. He got the gloss and it's holding up great.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea if I have to, might be able to try and get some, but looking for other alternatives lol.

I am seriously thinking of taking off the inner fenders, outer fenders, maybe the core support, then also thinking of maybe doing the wiper motor and cruise and stuff off the firewall.

So basically remove everything I can or want to.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I did the rattle can method on mine (black) and it still looks good after about 2 years but then again I don't DD it either. I stripped mine down and did it. Once it starts looking bad later on down the line I'll just redo it probably. Being rattle can I figured I wasn't out much of anything if it didn't hold up :shrug:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reds78C10