Oil pressure gage help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
Anyone know what this is?? Can’t figure out what it plugs into...

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
Idk what happened. Photo didn’t upload but here it is

You must be registered for see images attach
Maybe the ignition timing connector? Idk I can’t find anything else about it...

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I believe that wire is a diagnostic lead for applying 12V to the pump, which you can also do at the ALDL. Something’s wrong there with the oil sender. It looks like it’s threaded into a coolant drain plug, which is where knock sensors and block heaters go, but that’s it. It should be directly above the filter, not near it. Here’s a picture of the oil safety switch in the correct location. It’s not the sender, but you’ll get the idea. I’d make sure your knock sensor is on the other side just to be sure. Placing that sender in the correct hole should fix you up.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Idk what happened. Photo didn’t upload but here it is

Fuel pump test terminal off the Metripack 280/630 fuel pump relay. You can energize the fuel pump when the relay is not switching by applying 12v to that connection.

This schematic snippet is from my dual tank Theory Of Operation writeup on the 47-current chevy truck boards 73-87 sub-forum. If you only have one tank the "NL2 Switch" is the fuel pump...

This is the sending unit on the side of the block. I couldn’t get a picture of the one behind the distributor but like I said it’s a brass fitting and the sensor threads into it and there is a plug that plugs into it. Started the truck and it is pegged all the way to the right passed 60psi.

That looks like you have your oil pressure sender screwed into the block coolant drain hole along the oil pan rail where the ESC knock sensor or a 1/8" NPT pipe plug goes.

I believe that wire is a diagnostic lead for applying 12V to the pump, which you can also do at the ALDL. Something’s wrong there with the oil sender. It looks like it’s threaded into a coolant drain plug, which is where knock sensors and block heaters go, but that’s it. It should be directly above the filter, not near it. Here’s a picture of the oil safety switch in the correct location. It’s not the sender, but you’ll get the idea. I’d make sure your knock sensor is on the other side just to be sure. Placing that sender in the correct hole should fix you up.

That's the oil pressure switch for the fuel pump power circuit.

Last edited:

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
Fuel pump test terminal off the Metripack 280/630 fuel pump relay. You can energize the fuel pump when the relay is not switching by applying 12v to that connection.

This schematic snippet is from my dual tank Theory Of Operation writeup on the 47-current chevy truck boards 73-87 sub-forum. If you only have one tank the "NL2 Switch" is the fuel pump...

That looks like you have your oil pressure sender screwed into the block coolant drain hole along the oil pan rail where the ESC knock sensor or a 1/8" NPT pipe plug goes.

That's the oil pressure switch for the fuel pump power circuit.
Yea so the, “oil pressure switch for the fuel pump circuit” on my truck looks similar to that but is screwed in just behind the distributor and is “L” shaped.

The one that is supposed to go to my oil pressure gage, (the one on the side of the block driver side) is that in the wrong spot? It will not fit above my oil filter because the “can” is too wide. I can only get it on about two threads before it bottoms out on the edges of the block.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I just posted that switch as an example of the location. That oil sender is definitely in the wrong the spot, though. Only knock sensors and block heaters go in there. I don’t know what kind of space there is to do it, but you may have to get some kind of tee or tree shaped splitter for the port behind the distributor to run both things in the same spot. Where is the clearance issue by the oil filter? My sender is there, and it’s a very tight fit, but somehow it works.

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
I just posted that switch as an example of the location. That oil sender is definitely in the wrong the spot, though. Only knock sensors and block heaters go in there. I don’t know what kind of space there is to do it, but you may have to get some kind of tee or tree shaped splitter for the port behind the distributor to run both things in the same spot. Where is the clearance issue by the oil filter? My sender is there, and it’s a very tight fit, but somehow it works.

The clearance issue seems to be that the oil sender is too wide and I can only get it on like two threads before it bottoms out. I’ll go outside and see if I can get a picture and point to where it’s having the issues

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
On my '86 305, both the oil pressure sending unit and the oil pressure safety switch are behind the engine by the distributor.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Chegny has a very good picture he posted of the fitting used back there to accommodate both.

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
Where both of my fingers are is where the sender bottoms out. Maybe have the wrong sender? Do you have a photo of yours?

Jerry phillion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I just went thru the same situation. My 87 350 is a tbi . I
Assume yours is tbi also. Anyway, threaded hole just above oil filter is where oil sender for gage goes. Get a 2"or 3" long black
1/4" pipe nipple and a 1/4" 90 degree elbow. Screw these into block , the then screw sensor into elbow. You should have a tan
Single wire hanging down right there. Plug that onto end of
Sensor. Remove sensor from where you had it and put pipe plug in block.

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
I just went thru the same situation. My 87 350 is a tbi . I
Assume yours is tbi also. Anyway, threaded hole just above oil filter is where oil sender for gage goes. Get a 2"or 3" long black
1/4" pipe nipple and a 1/4" 90 degree elbow. Screw these into block , the then screw sensor into elbow. You should have a tan
Single wire hanging down right there. Plug that onto end of
Sensor. Remove sensor from where you had it and put pipe plug in block.
Ok that sounds good only problem is my wire is actually green. I spliced it to make it longer so it wasn’t laying on the headers

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
What if I installed an after market oil pressure gage? Copper tubing to the port above the oil filter? And just do away with the sending unit?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have the stock mechanical oil pressure gauge on my '75 350, and the copper line is connected to the port behind the distributor. AFAIK, when they switched to an electric gauge in about '77 they screwed the electric oil pressure sending unit into the same place behind the distributor.

I guess that in the TBI era they starting using the location near the oil filter. However, the port behind the distributor should also work fine.

Bruce