OEM style Big Block mechanical fuel pump question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
When I purchased my truck it had a an electric fuel pump on it. According the the PO the rubber fuel lines were bad at the fuel tanks (confirmed), but he also said he did not like the clearance of the mechanical fuel pump to the frame, thus he installed the electric pump. Although my truck is an '85 it was manufactured 11/84. The air cleaner also has a 1984 emissions tag on it. I was told the PO replaced the original motor with an unknown year 454. I haven't checked the casting numbers yet though.

I'm going to install a mechanical fuel pump back on the truck as I don't like how the electrical is plumbed. It's too close to the passenger exhaust pipe. On Rockauto and Napa both show a fuel pump for trucks manufactured prior to 1/1/85. Does anyone know why there is a difference? I'm guessing emissions possibly.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
When I purchased my truck it had a an electric fuel pump on it. According the the PO the rubber fuel lines were bad at the fuel tanks (confirmed), but he also said he did not like the clearance of the mechanical fuel pump to the frame, thus he installed the electric pump. Although my truck is an '85 it was manufactured 11/84. The air cleaner also has a 1984 emissions tag on it. I was told the PO replaced the original motor with an unknown year 454. I haven't checked the casting numbers yet though.

I'm going to install a mechanical fuel pump back on the truck as I don't like how the electrical is plumbed. It's too close to the passenger exhaust pipe. On Rockauto and Napa both show a fuel pump for trucks manufactured prior to 1/1/85. Does anyone know why there is a difference? I'm guessing emissions possibly.
More then likely there will be extra hook ups for newer models. I was gonna go mechanical on mine but didn't want to lift the engine to get the rod back in. It's kinda tight. Well the only way I was gonna get a pushrod back in was to lift it up and I wasn't doing it so I welded a sump in my tank and made it a rear bottom feeder.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I know that my Caprice Classic is a 1986 model year manufactured 11/85, and it has a returnless, two-port mechanical fuel pump instead of the three-port that they switched to in 1986 for the B Bodies. It would be my instinct to go with the 1984 pump on yours.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A pump from Jeg's/Summit/etc is a good option too. The aftermarket style are a little more compact and usually the housing can be clocked to get the inlet/outlet where you need it.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Well today I went to install the Carter fuel pump (3port) I got from Rockauto that says its for my vehicle, but I found a problem. It's longer than the stock one. The canister part of the pump on my original one is 1 7/8". This new one is 2 3/8" long. It looks like it will physically fit, but due to the fact it hangs lower, I worry when the engine torques, it my hit the pump on the cross member. The OE pump has an AC logo on it, but I can't find a part number.

Is anyone in the know what part number to look for with the shorter canister? Most the the ones I see on line are the longer ones. I've ordered on into the local Napa store. Hopefully they have the correct one.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Answer Found:

I picked up my fuel pump from Napa today and from the pictures you can see they provided the correct fuel pump. Their part number is B-0216-P just in case someone needs it. The ones from Autozone and O'Reillys are the longer version like the pictured Carter pump.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I wanted to give some update info on this fuel pump issue. I had a kncok in my motor after getting the transmission rebuilt, so I took the pump out to rule out that was the source. Currently, I'm getting a new 454 installed and wanted to get another pump from Napa for the new engine. The pump their catalog shows the pump in the middle. When the store received the pump, it was like the one on the right with the part number M60191. In fact, the Napa box now says "Engineered by Carter" and has the same part number as a Carter pump printed on it. Which is the wrong pump for my truck.

The original pump I received from Napa had the name Pierce cast into it. It looks like they have gone out of business due to Cash for Clunkers. If anyone needs this style of pump the correct part number to search for is Airtex #41615. I have found that BWP made a pump with the same number, but they were bought out by Standard Motor Products and the pump is no longer being produced.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I wonder what the Airtex mechanical pump reputation is. A lot of people won’t give the electric ones the time of day.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
No personal experience with them myself, but I hear both sides and more negative than positive if it means anything..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr