O-ring for yoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Is that hole supposed to be there? I mean, it looks like it.

Once again, fixing someone else problems here and I dont know whats all been done to this truck. Its kinda pissing me off.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Is that hole supposed to be there? I mean, it looks like it.

Once again, fixing someone else problems here and I dont know whats all been done to this truck. Its kinda pissing me off.
Yep, that's a vent hole as the yoke travels back and forth, that's why you need the o-ring, but there's supposed to be a non splined area in the yoke for the o-ring to ride on so it can seal, so that yoke shouldn't have a hole some idiot drilled one, that yoke is used with an output shaft that has one spline missing, the missing spline acts as a vent back into the tail housing, check and see if you have a missing spline on the output shaft, if you do just plug the hole up and you're good to go, if there is no missing spline you'll have to get the proper yoke and use an o-ring, there's also a cup that goes on the shaft too..

Well, I may not be 100% right on the non splined area in the yoke, just looked and I have two of them with holes and they are full splined???..

Last edited:

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Well, I may not be 100% right on the non splined area in the yoke, just looked and I have two of them with holes and they are full splined???..

I know for a fact that mine is full splined.

It didnt leak last night. And now looking at it and sleeping on it, the output seal could have been very worn. I think I remember seeing a gap... I think. :confused:

I remember putting it back together last night and thinking that the yoke to seal was pretty tight and I didnt remember that taking it apart. I was just concerned about getting it pulled part and putting a bushing back in and noticing no o-ring.

This truck sitting for 2 days could leak out 2 quarts of fluid. It usually took about a day for the leak to start happening but when it does, its very noticeable.

While sitting in the garage and now over night in the drive way and it not leaking from the tailshaft, I can see the pan leaking. :(

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well, the yoke won't leak after it sits for a while, it's when you drive and the yoke slides in and out that's when fluid goes back there. This is the o-ring deal that goes on the output shaft.

You must be registered for see images attach

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I just remember thinking, there is fluid coming off of the yoke... now it could have been that output seal was worn like throwing a hotdog down a hallway and I corrected everything wrong. We will see and I will let you all know. :)

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I just remember thinking, there is fluid coming off of the yoke... now it could have been that output seal was worn like throwing a hotdog down a hallway and I corrected everything wrong. We will see and I will let you all know. :)
Here is one I had machined. It's a slip yoke conversion an a fixed yoke TH400. But you should get the gist....
You must be registered for see images attach

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Interesting. Anyways, its not leaking as of now, so... maybe fixed? I havent been under the truck yet, but I now notice the pan gasket leaking.... son of a....

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Drive it a bit and you'll see if it leaks. Try snugging the pan bolts, if it has a cork gasket odds are the bolts are loose.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Drive it a bit and you'll see if it leaks. Try snugging the pan bolts, if it has a cork gasket odds are the bolts are loose.
Cork is for wine not sealing transmissions.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Cork is for wine not sealing transmissions.
The only way to go if it a race deal and you're taking it apart often, they are reusable, I won't us them on a stret deal though. :D

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Oh I like rubber gaskets. Yeah, I know this is old and that the PO and PPO were dumb. I just need to get it reliable and save up for my LSx swap.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The fiber ones are best they don't compress, put them on dry and forget about it..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400