NP833 w OEM Hurst Shifter Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Something else I'm noticing. The ones that are rebuildable, have the round shift stick. The ones that are NOT, have the squareed off rectangular shift stick.

Here are 2 Round shift stick units. Both with only 2 holes and grease zerk.

I noticed that even the round shifter terminates in a rectangular bar where it attaches to the mechanism. Also noticed that the shifter I have has a zerk in the upper through bolt of the mechanism like the one zetan has.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, all the Hurst shifters I'm aware of are rectangular where the stick mounts to the shifter assembly. I was just trying to point out all the things to look for when buying or finding one. There's really nothing with the non rebuildable ones so long as they do work. You can always replace the bushings at the rod ends to take up some of the sloppiness if you have some. And I'd sure still use if it's what I had until I was able to find another one. I don't know of to many Hurst shifters that have quit working all together. Just that they can be much better as in tighter and smoother with a rebuild kit after 20-30 years of use.

Berry82GMC

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
6.2 Detroit Diesel
Hey, just joined so i could ask, i have the NP 833 and ive called hurst trying to get it rebuilt, i was told i could send it to them and itd take like two months but theyd send it back rebuilt. i dont remember how much itd cost. I read through this whole thread and im still confused if yall found a way to rebuild the shifter, mines the 4x4. any help would be awesome!

btw this website looks like itll be an awesome resource in the near future

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hey, just joined so i could ask, i have the NP 833 and ive called hurst trying to get it rebuilt, i was told i could send it to them and itd take like two months but theyd send it back rebuilt. i dont remember how much itd cost. I read through this whole thread and im still confused if yall found a way to rebuild the shifter, mines the 4x4. any help would be awesome!

btw this website looks like itll be an awesome resource in the near future
I just looked well because I was bored, but is the mopar a833 stuff the same?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Depends on which shifter you have too. There is 2 different ones. I hear one is rebuildable and one is not. The one with the round stick IIRC is rebuildable, the one with the rectangular stick all the way up is NOT. You can probably also purchase a Hurst Comp Plus shifter without rods and use your current rods.

Berry82GMC

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
6.2 Detroit Diesel
Depends on which shifter you have too. There is 2 different ones. I hear one is rebuildable and one is not. The one with the round stick IIRC is rebuildable, the one with the rectangular stick all the way up is NOT. You can probably also purchase a Hurst Comp Plus shifter without rods and use your current rods.

I have the one with the rounded stick. what rebuild kit can i use? the motors out of the truck getting rebuilt so if i can get all of this done in one swoop thatd be awesome.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm not sure there is a specified kit for these shifters. It seems at one time I was able to look at some parts and found a kit that came very close. It was very close to the aftermarket Hurst Comp Plus rebuild kit.

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Anyone have an update?
I have one on hold that I'm picking up this spring.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
shifterdoc.com, formerly hurstshiftersonline.com. They have parts, instructional videos, and will rebuild your unit.
Great to know info. We need to keep this info on top somewhere so it doesn't get lost in the thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pete08