Nothing happens when turning key. Better results when in neutral. Tried changing the Neutral Safety Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ih8vols

Reaction score
First Name
SC
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
2002 LS1 4.8
This issue started slowly about a month ago and got worse quickly.

At first I would turn the key repeatedly and after 3rd or 4th try it would start. Then it got to where it was 8-9 tries.

Next I started putting the truck in neutral and had better success initially but even that has gotten bad now.

This morning I was going to move the truck so I could install the new neutral safety switch but could not get it to start.

Changed the switch and it immediately started up so I thought I was good. Just tried to start it again and it’s not doing anything again.

Any ideas? Any ideas? It’s an LS1 from a 2002 Silverado. Thanks.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

At first I would turn the key repeatedly and after 3rd or 4th try it would start. Then it got to where it was 8-9 tries.

Next I started putting the truck in neutral and had better success initially but even that has gotten bad now.

This morning I was going to move the truck so I could install the new neutral safety switch but could not get it to start.

Changed the switch and it immediately started up so I thought I was good. Just tried to start it again and it’s not doing anything again.

Pull the electric portion of the ignition switch off the column,slide it with a small Screwdriver, I'll bet it starts first try every try. If so my first thought is ignition rack replacement. P.S. ls1 is a 5.7 and not used in a silverado

Last edited:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI

Sorry I don't know much about GMT800s. A 2002 Silverado is a little outside my wheelhouse. There are several forums dedicated to those trucks specifically, sorry it just seems like you're at least 11 years too new for this place lol. You could say "a truck is a truck" but by 2002 they had already started with that LS junk, and there's really no similarity between these trucks that were made from 1973-'87, (91 if you're talking 'Burb, Blazer, or heavy crew cab). I thought LS1s were more for 'vettes, late 4th gen F bodies, and 2004 GTOs, never realized they came in trucks too. Must be some fancy SS package. Good luck with your search man, sounds like a cool rig, I'm just not equipped to deal with it here. Some of these guys are super knowledgeable all things GM, they might know. For us squarebody guys, you lost us with all that electrodigical stuff...

Last edited:

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Ignition switch moves a toothed rack in the column, which then moves a rod that runs up and down the column. The rod is connected to the electrical switch mounted lower on the column. Very common to have the pot metal rack break or crack so it does not move the rod correctly.

GM ignition rack is about $12-$15, and available from multiple sources. However it takes a fair amount of column disassembly to get to it for replacement. Do a search online to find multiple articles on how to do it.

Lift3d1

Reaction score
First Name
erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
did you solve it? on my truck the nuetral safety switch is moving to right when the gear shifter is pulled all the way down. and when it is put back in park the outer housing of the switch is not moving all the way back.

im pretty sure only the slider/switch inside the nuetral safety switch is supposed to be moving when you move the shifter.

if i manually pull the housing back counter clockwise till it stops it must connect the contacts again because it starts fine.

the original switch that was removed does not do this. it is adjustable with some effort(there are teeth on top). it is designed to be adjusted. but i dont think the housing is supposed to be manipulated by the shifter movement.

ih8vols

Reaction score
First Name
SC
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
2002 LS1 4.8
did you solve it? on my truck the nuetral safety switch is moving to right when the gear shifter is pulled all the way down. and when it is put back in park the outer housing of the switch is not moving all the way back.

im pretty sure only the slider/switch inside the nuetral safety switch is supposed to be moving when you move the shifter.

if i manually pull the housing back counter clockwise till it stops it must connect the contacts again because it starts fine.

the original switch that was removed does not do this. it is adjustable with some effort(there are teeth on top). it is designed to be adjusted. but i dont think the housing is supposed to be manipulated by the shifter movement.

Nope, haven’t figured it out yet. I took a break from it due to frustration. I did get the steering wheel apart. I’m almost to the pinion, but it looks like its intact and working.

I’ll look over what you’ve described and see if that’s it. Appreciate the response!

ih8vols

Reaction score
First Name
SC
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
2002 LS1 4.8
Alright. I’m at a loss on this. I’ve gone thru the steering column and everything seems to be working as it should.

I thought the rack and sector gear might be broken, but you can see in the video that’s it’s moving like it should when I turn the key. Right now nothing is happening when I turn the key other than the fuel pump engaging and dash lights coming on. The truck makes no attempt to fire up.

Below is a link to a video. Any ideas? Should I test the starter?

Link to video

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I'm having what sounds like the same exact issue on an 87 Safari. There's some fusible links behind battery on thus thing and I'm going to check those when get back to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35