No start (clicks) issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Sometimes it will just click and not turn over. Sometimes pulling it down to L1 and back up to park will fix it, other times punching the throttle to the floor and back off will make it work. Bad part is it's getting more frequent.

One other thing, is when it gets really cold outside (below say 25°) the switch is really hard to turn. I had to put a pair of vice grips across the blades (outside of the key) just to turn it the other day when it was 0° outside.

I've had the battery tested (less then 1 yr old), starter tested, changed battery cables and still have the issue here and there. I'm thinking ignition switch. I'm going to temporarily wire up the remote starter switch until it warms up to really dig into it.

Thoughts? After watching a video of the work required to change the ignition switch, I think I've decided to "upgrade" to the tilt column. If I'm going to go that far I might as well. Buy a used one, replace all the switches etc while off the vehicle and then swap.

What's a fair price (min/max) price for a tilt that'll work on an 86 k10? Anyone got one they can part with? I understand I'll probably have to add the cruise/int wiper/blinker lever.

And speaking of wipers, when I see "pulse wiper" does that mean the same thing as intermittent?

lol if you have one, I've got 1 or 2 jeep cherokee intermediate shafts and the vacuum cruise hardware from the engine bay of my 86 if it'll help the price. If asking this here is against the rules I can delete.

Thanks Guys

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
This doesnt really apply to alot of what youve said, ive never had something happen where i had to go through that process just to get it started:rotflmao: but check all the connections to your starter. Mine got greased up and gunky and had a slow oil leak dripping down on it and just wouldnt start sometimes. Bought some special electrical parts cleaner and its started right up since. Seems simple but its cheap and worth a try before you start tearing things apart:shrug: but more than likely considering what youre saying id look into that ignition switch. Good luck!

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
could be that. I do have a rear main thats leaking a bit and have oil on starter.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Sometimes it will just click and not turn over. Sometimes pulling it down to L1 and back up to park will fix it, other times punching the throttle to the floor and back off will make it work. Bad part is it's getting more frequent.

One other thing, is when it gets really cold outside (below say 25°) the switch is really hard to turn. I had to put a pair of vice grips across the blades (outside of the key) just to turn it the other day when it was 0° outside.

I've had the battery tested (less then 1 yr old), starter tested, changed battery cables and still have the issue here and there. I'm thinking ignition switch. I'm going to temporarily wire up the remote starter switch until it warms up to really dig into it.

Thoughts? After watching a video of the work required to change the ignition switch, I think I've decided to "upgrade" to the tilt column. If I'm going to go that far I might as well. Buy a used one, replace all the switches etc while off the vehicle and then swap.

What's a fair price (min/max) price for a tilt that'll work on an 86 k10? Anyone got one they can part with? I understand I'll probably have to add the cruise/int wiper/blinker lever.

And speaking of wipers, when I see "pulse wiper" does that mean the same thing as intermittent?

lol if you have one, I've got 1 or 2 jeep cherokee intermediate shafts and the vacuum cruise hardware from the engine bay of my 86 if it'll help the price. If asking this here is against the rules I can delete.

Thanks Guys

@Honky Kong jr has an ‘89 tilt column. All it needs is the four bolts at the base threadlocked and retightened. I hope you don’t mind me speaking for you, by the way. You have to tear the column down a good ways, but there’s a write up on here and a dozen videos on Youtube. Or you could get someone to do it for you that you trust. And pulse wiper = intermittent.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
What 1987 GMC Jimmy said. Starter problem could be the starter solenoid. Disconnect the battery, drop starter, remove wires, remove solenoid, take solenoid apart, remove the nut from the big bolt and turn the big copper bolt 180 degrees and reassemble everything.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
@Honky Kong jr has an ‘89 tilt column.

is it posted somewhere? I guess I could pm him.

What 1987 GMC Jimmy said. Starter problem could be the starter solenoid. Disconnect the battery, drop starter, remove wires, remove solenoid, take solenoid apart, remove the nut from the big bolt and turn the big copper bolt 180 degrees and reassemble everything.

May try that this weekend. Supposed to warm up a bit.

Thanks Guys

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size

Thanks Guys

No, it's not. I'm surprised he hasn't seen the tag yet, though.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

Thanks Guys
Nope it isn’t listed. And Jesse I saw it and then got into doing something. @Camar068 pm me if you need it.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Decided to rig with the remote switch until it warms up and replace the column with tilt. This will let me fix the blinkers not shutting off after turning and the wiper issue I have as well. Maybe have a horn (aka "GET OFF YOUR DAMN PHONE.....THE LIGHT IS GREEN!!!" noise maker) in the end also. If/when I do, gonna get a really loud one...hmm....or have a toggle to switch from regular to super loud lol.

Thanks All and Honky Kong jr.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Decided to rig with the remote switch until it warms up and replace the column with tilt. This will let me fix the blinkers not shutting off after turning and the wiper issue I have as well. Maybe have a horn (aka "GET OFF YOUR DAMN PHONE.....THE LIGHT IS GREEN!!!" noise maker) in the end also. If/when I do, gonna get a really loud one...hmm....or have a toggle to switch from regular to super loud lol.

Thanks All and Honky Kong jr.
While you are at it....
Just a thought, but I would run a wire from your purple wire on the solenoid into the passenger compartment. Hook up a 12V bulb to it, and of course, ground the other end. Every time you start it, it lights up also. When it finally acts up and doesn't start, you can tell if the ignition is getting power down there or not. Could help diagnois it....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400