No spark, No fuel 1990 5.7 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
What brand did you order and from where?

Shannon76

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It is through my local NAPA. They are the only choice here close by. Not sure of the manufacturer. I had already ordered it yesterday before you guys told me to watch out for anything other than Delco or Delphi. Hopefully it is a good one. I know they source from many suppliers including delco and delphi then private label.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Next time you should try Rockauto.com since you had to order it anyway. There's usually a 5% discount on parts through here as well. Not including shipping.

Shannon76

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Next time you should try Rockauto.com since you had to order it anyway. There's usually a 5% discount on parts through here as well. Not including shipping.
Cuba, good to know about the Rockauto discount. Just checked ECM fuse as suggested and it is good. However you said ECM A and B fuse and I can only find one 10amp fuse labeled ECM/IGN located under the steering column in the fuse panel. Can't find any other fuse panel under the hood except a couple of inline fuses on the passenger side firewall under a cover. I also looked in the owners manual and did not find any others referenced. I did find one labeled INJ A that supplies the throttle injectors but it is good as well. As a matter of fact I had my test light handy and they were open back fuses so I tested all of the fuses in the panel while I was in there. Y'all keep suggesting and I'll keep trying! Thanks fellows!

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
In your case the injector fuse is ECM B... I think it may depend on the year. Carbureted models also only had an ECM A fuse, I believe. No biggie.

I agree with everyone else above about the dizzy taking care of your issues.... or at least should.

You can take a peek at "Burb is no go.... " thread. I posted technical procedures which would apply to you as well.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Check the pickup coil, using multimeter, set on DC volt scale{I think it is DC} and hook leads to PC leads, crank over the engine, see if there is any reading from it.

Shannon76

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks MrMarty, I will try that as soon as I can get back to it. Even though the dis, pc and icm (icm for the 2nd time, included with the new dis) will all be replaced tomorrow I want to verify exactly what the culprit is to hopefully help someone else out later on down the road.

Shannon76

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Good news guys! Got her all back together and timing reset,...... running like a top now! I installed the new distributor that included the new pick up coil and new ignition control module. I hope it was the new pick up coil that fixed it but after doing MrMarty51's test above I am honestly not a 100% sure which one fixed it because I tested the old pick up coil and the new one as described above and both new and old had the same readings. I will have the parts store check the first new ignition control module in a few days to see if it was dead on arrival. Thanks again for the help everyone!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Whatever ends up being good after all (pickup coil or ICM), save it as a spare. My money is still on the ignition module. I got a new Delco module last year that lasted for three seconds and was dead. The replacement has been going strong for almost a year now.

Shannon76

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Whatever ends up being good after all (pickup coil or ICM), save it as a spare. My money is still on the ignition module. I got a new Delco module last year that lasted for three seconds and was dead. The replacement has been going strong for almost a year now.
Will do and thanks again for the great advice!

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I had one that was reading ok by specs, but the rotor thing on top of the shaft that sits in the pick up coil was contacting part of pick up coil. Not sure what the exact problem was that allowed it to happen but, it got a new dist. to resolve the issue.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e

Yeah, we sure were (mine's running now)!! I would bet money it's the pickup coil - new distributor should solve it. Mine was basically disintegrated underneath that copper looking cap. Every time I touch it more dust and pieces fall out. I've read elsewhere that TBI distributors are kind of known for this problem. Older HEI distributors (carb) were known for module failures, but I don't think a module failure in TBI would account for lack of both fuel and spark - only spark. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Shannon76

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, we sure were (mine's running now)!! I would bet money it's the pickup coil - new distributor should solve it. Mine was basically disintegrated underneath that copper looking cap. Every time I touch it more dust and pieces fall out. I've read elsewhere that TBI distributors are kind of known for this problem. Older HEI distributors (carb) were known for module failures, but I don't think a module failure in TBI would account for lack of both fuel and spark - only spark. Good luck, let us know how it works out.
Thanks Dave! I got the pickup running as well after replacing the distributor. It had to be the pick up coil in mine also because the 1st icm I installed tested fine at the parts house on 5 different tests. I guess the lesson learned here is that if you have no fuel and no spark with a rusty and corroded distributor, go ahead and replace the distributor before you waste a lot of time and money. Thanks for the help everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28