No power steering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tanner Foster

Reaction score
First Name
Tanner
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
I just replaced gearbox and power steering pump in my 84 k3500. I’m pretty sure I have it bled all the way but it feels like I have zero power steering. I did the gearbox first and drove it for a few days. Steering was too hard so I replaced the pump as well. Didn’t help any. Any ideas? Bad box?

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Fluid level?
Jack up the front end and turn the steering wheel 'lock-to-lock' several times. Check PS fluid level.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Fluid level?
Jack up the front end and turn the steering wheel 'lock-to-lock' several times. Check PS fluid level.
Also take the cap off when you do it may need to "burp" my surban was like that after i changed the pump, it burped and blew out fluid. I refilled it and its been fine to this day.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
No noise from the pump? Mine wouldn’t shut up for two days even after doing the bench bleed in the Saginaw instructions and the air bleed once it’s all hooked up. You did both or at least the last one, correct? There’s nothing blocking the flow of fluid like plugs in the gearbox from when it came out of the box? I guess it’d be hard or maybe impossible to put lines in there but still.

Tanner Foster

Reaction score
First Name
Tanner
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
I did do the air bleed. I kept checking fluid level and made sure it stayed full. One more thing is I’m pretty sure I hooked the lines up properly but I’d like to double check. There’s two lines I cut to fit to the pump and I cut the old ones and disposed of pump without looking at it... can’t seem to find a good diagram anywhere either. Does anyone have one? Or a pic of their truck? It is the hydro boost system.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So it drives the same as it did before? How long has the problem been around? If nothing has changed, it could be seized king pins or front axle u-joints.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also, when you are driving down the road, does the steering wheel self-center after a turn?

Tanner Foster

Reaction score
First Name
Tanner
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
I just picked up the truck. Steering was really sloppy so I went through it. New tie rods and gear and pump. It self centered before I changed everything. I changed the gear first. It wouldn’t self center anymore. It felt a lot tighter but there was a lot more resistance to it. I figured the new tight gear may have uncovered a weak pump? I changed pump out and it’s the same if not worse as after the gear. I did use an impact to install pulley and I read somewhere that that may damage pump? I wouldn’t think so but who knows. I’m kind of lost. It seems so simple but can’t get it fixed and I don’t want to start replacing parts I just replaced unless I know they’re bad.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If the stiff steering started with the gear box, then that's a likely culprit. Remaned GM steering boxes are often garbage right out of the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL