no engagement in any gear help please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big sally

Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
jimmy Sierra classic
Engine Size
hello I'm new to this forum for starters I have a 1988 gmc jimmy Sierra classic 5.7 350 & 700r4 tranny
so my issue is I was driving and suddenly the truck was not moving on its power engine was on and raving but not moving I pulled over and everything seemed in tact and nothing was visibly leaking after a few min. I put the truck in 4wd high and nothing I put it in 4wd low and it engaged after that I put back into 2wd and I was Able to drive away, a few hours later the same thing happened again and still nothing leaking the truck has always shifted well the fluid is full but is more on the purple side then pink
this truck is my daily and I am not a mechanic but am Able to handle simple to moderate jobs

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I’d check to see if the TV cable is in good condition and good working order and possibly even check the throttle valve for proper operation, but that requires dropping the trans pan. If that’s not the issue I would say the trans is toast but I’m not a transmission master so just my 2 cents

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Normally transfer case shifting isn't going to make a difference unless you're having some kind of transfer case failure. :shrug:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
My first guess was broken sprag but since you got it going again it would sound like a leaking or stuck pump ring that came un-stuck. By the way revving it when it's slipping will kill your clutch packs, and may have already reduced how much material they have since you mentioned discolored trans fluid. I foresee a rebuild in your near future.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'd be tearing it down before anymore damage can occur...

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I second the mandatory teardown....unfortunately, losing forward or reverse gears is usually the first sign of needing a rebuild. I would be very wary of any color other than bright red trans fluid. When I lost my revese gear, the forward were soon to follow. My 700r4 ended up requiring a complete rebuild. The pump was shot, the races and bearings were toasted and even my transmission guy was shocked that he was able to move the truck up on his ramp under the trucks own power once the internal damage was discovered. The longer you try to use it, the more damage will occur.

big sally

Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
jimmy Sierra classic
Engine Size
thanks for all the responses it hasn't happened again since i will be giving the 700r4 a service including filter and gasket, reaper mentioned checking the throttle valve for proper operation by dropping the pan can you or anyone explain how that looks and how it should be? i am unfamiliar with this pics would be awesome if anyone has any
thanks alot everyone i am greatfull for everyones imput

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
When you drop the pan look at what the cable is hooked up to, that lever moves the the throttle valve in it's bore.

You must be registered for see images

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
thread moved to the proper subforum :waytogo:

big sally

Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
jimmy Sierra classic
Engine Size
how do I adjust it or know that its in its proper position?

big sally

Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
jimmy Sierra classic
Engine Size
Thanks it was big help I did the tranny service eveeythin went pretty smooth but im still having the same issue if I drive it a little to hard it pops out of gear and I have no engagmemt till I put it in 4wd then back to 2wd anybody have any other suggestion?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Does the transmission actually pop out of gear, or the transfer case ?
Welcome to the forum Sally.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell