Newbie with slide-in camper question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocky Veley

Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi. I am a newbie ( to this forum ) square body truck fan. There is no better looking truck on earth in my opinion. Currently running a black 85 chevy K10 diesel with 3/4 ton springs, and a white 86 chevy c30 diesel. Last year I bought a 96 Northern Lite camper. The camper will work on either truck. Dry weight 583 kg's ( 1285 lb's .) I have the old style bed rail tie downs and I don't think they are strong enough.

My question is < does torklift make a frame style tie down for these trucks or is an underbelly bar the way to go ?

I appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks

ps ( could not find a slide in camper section )

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I've only ever seen belly bars and chains/straps on this era of trucks. Nothing wrong with the belly bar really, place it properly and you'll never have an issue.

Rocky Veley

Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks. I have been leaning in that direction. Have looked to no end for Torklift tie downs. I think the plan is find a piece of steel , weld some brackets on then drill and mount to the frame. I don't want to weld directly to the frame rails.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I had an '87 K20 I purchased in the earlier 90's that had brackets that bolted to the front of the bed between the cab and bed. If I recall they bolted in place of the two bed bolts on the front panel. You can barely see them in the first photo (just behind the door locks). This truck had an aftermarket receiver hitch and the PO had some type of bar that slid into the ends of the receiver to secure the rear of the camper. The second and third pictures are similar to what I'm refering to.
You must be registered for see images attach

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For the front mount on my stroke I ran a piece of fairly heavy square from side to side at about the front of the bed, used flats going up along side of the frame with a stop welded on the flat at the bottom of the frame. Attached it to the frame with J bolts, no holes in the frame.

Seemed to work fine, might have braced it a little if I used it more, but since I got the same mileage pulling my 35' 5 th wheel as I did with the slide in camper, I didn't use it much.

The eyebolts that I attach the camper to go thru the running boards. As an added bonus, it strengthened up the running boards.

If you wanted, you could make the ends slip in like the rears on Craig's in the above post.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
My ‘79 has brackets bolted to the front of the bed just below the upper body line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My ‘79 has brackets bolted to the front of the bed just below the upper body line.

Those were available as part of one of the camper special packages. Or available by themselves too I suppose.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Those were available as part of one of the camper special packages. Or available by themselves too I suppose.
Mine’s a Camper Special so that must be it. I guess I just assumed they were aftermarket.

Rocky Veley

Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks everyone. Lots of ideas to ponder and some dandy pics . Just what I needed.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Mine’s a Camper Special so that must be it. I guess I just assumed they were aftermarket.

From what I remember, there was 2 or 3 different camper special packages. My '79 is a camper special also, but it doesn't have those brackets included in it. I think it was just the cheapest way for the original owner to get the 400, dual batteries, 4.56 gears, etc. The camper wire harness is still taped up and unused under the truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969