New to website

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingBee

Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
i've been searching the threads for some information and can't seem to find a definitive answer. maybe someone will reply and help.

are there differences in 77-80 instrument lens versus the 81+?

second question: has anyone got a preferred method for polishing the plastic lens on the instrument cluster?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I looked at LMC and according to them the gauge cluster lens is the same part number for 73-80 and 81-87 (P/N 38-8003). But they want almost $50 for it!

I tried polishing mine years ago when I had it all apart. For some reason it is "fogged" and seems it is the plastic itself and not just the surface.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
i've been searching the threads for some information and can't seem to find a definitive answer. maybe someone will reply and help.

are there differences in 77-80 instrument lens versus the 81+?

second question: has anyone got a preferred method for polishing the plastic lens on the instrument cluster?

1. Looks like it depends on whether or not a clock is installed.

No clock - you're good from 73 - 87 (up to 91 for Blazer, Suburban, etc):

(1973-87) Instrument Cluster Face-w/ Gauges w/o Clock

With a clock - for some reason, 80 and down is different than 81 and up:

(1973-80) Instrument Cluster Face-w/ Gauges & Clock

(1981-88) Instrument Cluster Face-w/ Gauges & Clock

Why the presence of a clock matters is anyone's guess - though I'm sure someone here knows. Maybe the earlier model clocks had the time adjust stem in a different location - and the hole in the lens didn't line up.

2. No. Once it has been abraded, nothing (at least nothing that I have ever seen or tried) can restore the plastic lens to anywhere near it's original clarity. The preferred method is to save up and buy a new lens.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Welcome!

Ive got a few extra clusters i can check and see but from what i remeber the plastic was in pretty decent shape if your interested

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Welcome from Texas!:cheers:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Why the presence of a clock matters is anyone's guess - though I'm sure someone here knows. Maybe the earlier model clocks had the time adjust stem in a different location - and the hole in the lens didn't line up.

2. No. Once it has been abraded, nothing (at least nothing that I have ever seen or tried) can restore the plastic lens to anywhere near it's original clarity. The preferred method is to save up and buy a new lens.

Position of the knob to adjust time on the clock in a different position? that would cause it to be a different number.

what about the headlight polishing kits anyone tried them? Not the spray on wipe away kits the actually buffing with rubbing compound then polish?

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
what about the headlight polishing kits anyone tried them? Not the spray on wipe away kits the actually buffing with rubbing compound then polish?

That's a good idea. I bought a mother's headlights restore kit. Came with polishing wheel for your drill and fine wet sanding pads. I used it on my 2000 camaro ss lights and it did a pretty good job. I think it would be worth a shot you might like the results.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Position of the knob to adjust time on the clock in a different position? that would cause it to be a different number.

I tried a couple of those polishing kits. I spent hours and hours on a particular lens one time - just to see if it was possible. If you do it long enough (and the scratches aren't too deep), the process will eventually bring the area around the scratch down enough so it blends in to the depth of the scratch. But that comes with a cost; even though the rubbing compound provided with the kit is extremely fine, the plastic - while smooth to the touch - develops an unavoidable slight haze from the abrasion required to level the scratch.

I suppose it all comes down to how picky you are. You can certainly see the gauges through that very mild haze easily enough. But, in most cases, that was also probably true even before you began the polishing process. I am a cheap MF and will do a lot to save a buck, but as far as this project goes...I say either leave as is and get used to it or just get a new lens.

These lenses have dropped quite a bit in price. They used to go for right around $100. Currently, Classic Parts lists all three at $49.95:

https://www.classicparts.com/1973-87-Instrument-Cluster-Face-w_-Gauges-w_o-Clock/productinfo/24-444/

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Welcome!

Ive got a few extra clusters i can check and see but from what i remeber the plastic was in pretty decent shape if your interested

Wouldn't happen to have any dash cluster housings for an '88 Silverado lying around that you'd part with, do you?

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I have used plastic polish before, came out fine. however like everyone said, it depends on how bad it is. highdesertranger

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I've used Plastic X to polish my lens on various cars along with my R10. It does help but as everyone mentions it depends on how much damage there is.
If you want to take a chance, a fine grit sand paper will help cut the larger imperfections down. EG 2000 grit. Then polish with the plastic paste/liquid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128