New to me 88 Burb, hello all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swazo

Reaction score
First Name
Daymon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
5.3L
I’ve been lurking, reading and searching down rabbit holes here and thought I should post an intro to start.

I flew into Salt Lake City intending to buy a vehicle while in town on business, and drive 13-14 hours back to the Oregon coast. 10 vehicles Id been vetting over the phone didn’t pan out for one reason or another, and this popped up one of the last days there.
1988 GMC V1500 9-person w/ rear AC Suburban 350tbi/700r4 with a top shelf Off-road Design 6” lift kit, D44/14-bolt 3/4 ton axle swap (axles stripped, prepped and painted prior to being professionally built with 4.56 gears, Detroit locker in rear and beefy diff covers) professionally installed with a new driveshaft. Drives great, brakes nice, steers amazingly and is pretty clean over all.

Bought it, loaded my gear and left for the coast. Not quite at the half way mark, I threw a rod outside of Boise, Idaho. Uhaul said their car hauler wouldn’t tow a Suburban online, but being desperate, I gave it a shot. Even with all my gear in the moving truck, this was squirrelly as hell and 45 mph was as good as it got. Turned a 13 hour drive into a 26.5 hour drive.

Not wanting to rebuild the 350, getting spooked from remans from part stores and unwilling to pay $2k+ for a decent reman.....
I chose to buy a low mile ‘01 5.3L LM7 to swap in. I’m sticking with the 700r4 and am trying to make sure I get the TV cable setup right. 5.3 is getting powder coated black CCP high flow e.manifolds for OEM like sealing, a CAI and a reflashed ECU for this setup. I’m pinning out my harness and making a clean standalone setup.

I haven’t started yet, but am waiting on freight, UPS/FedEx and snail mail. Keep an eye for my build thread ;)
You must be registered for see images attach

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Wow what an adventure, and welcome to the site.
Your Burb is in awesome shape, look forward to your build.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Welcome nice Burb. Workin that little U-Haul trailer a little. Lol

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Welcome. Nice truck. I believe it was a squirrelly tow, with that much burb hanging off the end of the trailer.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Welcome, I have done a suburban on uhual trailer before and also experienced a limit of about 45mph. I think not a bad choice on dumping tbi after a major failure.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Nice suburban. Hell, I had a 92 cavalier on an U-Haul trailer and that thing didnt want to do over 55.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site, sweet Burb..

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Dang. When I took my Caprice to be painted, I put it on the back of a Uhaul, and it was a little washy at first, but I was able to do about 70-75 on the freeway safely or so I thought. That was pulling it with an '02 Suburban 1500.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Dang. When I took my Caprice to be painted, I put it on the back of a Uhaul, and it was a little washy at first, but I was able to do about 70-75 on the freeway safely or so I thought. That was pulling it with an '02 Suburban 1500.

It's got a huge amount to do with how you load the trailer. balance is your friend. When we hauled my d30 home, it wasn't a U-haul trailer, but by centering the load, we were able to run 70-75mph, until a tire decided to de-laminate. Pulled it with a 2017 2500HD. You could barely feel the 5900 lbs of truck plus whatever the trailer weighed behind it.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
That makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, there's practically zero room to move a car or truck that long on that car hauler so I guess it worked out pretty good!

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
What an excellent color combo! Nice Burb and a great base to build on.

Welcome!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum, that burb is SWEET!! sucks it blew not long after buying it, id be pissed!! Cant wait to see what you create

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Wow, what a cool Suburban!

And howdy!

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I’ve been lurking, reading and searching down rabbit holes here and thought I should post an intro to start.

I flew into Salt Lake City intending to buy a vehicle while in town on business, and drive 13-14 hours back to the Oregon coast. 10 vehicles Id been vetting over the phone didn’t pan out for one reason or another, and this popped up one of the last days there.
1988 GMC V1500 9-person w/ rear AC Suburban 350tbi/700r4 with a top shelf Off-road Design 6” lift kit, D44/14-bolt 3/4 ton axle swap (axles stripped, prepped and painted prior to being professionally built with 4.56 gears, Detroit locker in rear and beefy diff covers) professionally installed with a new driveshaft. Drives great, brakes nice, steers amazingly and is pretty clean over all.

Bought it, loaded my gear and left for the coast. Not quite at the half way mark, I threw a rod outside of Boise, Idaho. Uhaul said their car hauler wouldn’t tow a Suburban online, but being desperate, I gave it a shot. Even with all my gear in the moving truck, this was squirrelly as hell and 45 mph was as good as it got. Turned a 13 hour drive into a 26.5 hour drive.

Not wanting to rebuild the 350, getting spooked from remans from part stores and unwilling to pay $2k+ for a decent reman.....
I chose to buy a low mile ‘01 5.3L LM7 to swap in. I’m sticking with the 700r4 and am trying to make sure I get the TV cable setup right. 5.3 is getting powder coated black CCP high flow e.manifolds for OEM like sealing, a CAI and a reflashed ECU for this setup. I’m pinning out my harness and making a clean standalone setup.

I haven’t started yet, but am waiting on freight, UPS/FedEx and snail mail. Keep an eye for my build thread ;)

You actually got your wheels (both sides? looks like it) inside the tracks? I saw an overloaded Uhaul recently and noticed the tires
were sitting on the railing sticking out. Im not sure, maybe at least a few inches outboard and each side driver and pass. He put planks down shimmed up to level with the railing so the rig wasn't just sitting on the aluminum railing.
Yeah and he had a dozen or more straps sucking the truck down. And little wheel chocks just screwed into planks. He was keeping a close eye on the party.
The truck was a square leaf sprung rock crawler that had just relinquished it's 'street legal' status. Short wheel base and 39 or 40" Pitbulls so
that's probably why all that rubber was hanging out in the wind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84