New to me 05 gmc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Just thought I'd post this up here see what you guys think. Just picked up a 05 gmc ext cab 4x4. It was a repo from the bank so I'd like to think I got a good deal on it. Just was time for something a little newer and 4wheel drive! Has 175010 miles on it so not bad. And just found out it's the l33 engine so that's cool dont know if you'd notice the 15 hp it's got over the lm7 but oh well more is always better right?
You must be registered for see images attach

So the question I know a lot of the earlier trucks 99 up had the pump rub issue in the tcase. Ever seen it in a 05 or newer? I can get the merchant auto fix for 75 bucks so maybe I should just do it either way at least I know id be safe.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
When I did mechanical break down claims, I didnt see too many t-case claims.... but Id stock up in front hubs and run your VIN for the head cracking TSB. Early to mid 2000's had heads that would just crack. Oh, and maybe grab a water pump too.

That said... Nice looking truck. I was trying to grab me an early 2000's GM or Chevy before the square body. Just seemed like everyone in Texas thinks their truck is worth its weight in gold, no matter age or condition.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
When I did mechanical break down claims, I didnt see too many t-case claims.... but Id stock up in front hubs and run your VIN for the head cracking TSB. Early to mid 2000's had heads that would just crack. Oh, and maybe grab a water pump too.

That said... Nice looking truck. I was trying to grab me an early 2000's GM or Chevy before the square body. Just seemed like everyone in Texas thinks their truck is worth its weight in gold, no matter age or condition.

I'm glad you pointed out about the heads had forgot about that it has the 799 from what found seems like it was more common with the 706s but I still keep an eye on it. That motor is listed on the tsb also. It had new hubs a year ago so should good there! It dont look bad from a distance it has had some body work and some dents and scratches. It's crazy what they want up here for one too all rusted out 200000 miles and still 5 to 10k

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have heard about the 2007.5+ aluminum blocks cracking also dont know if that was something these years were know for or not

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The battery heads were hit or miss in quality castings. Keep an eye on your coolant level.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The battery heads were hit or miss in quality castings. Keep an eye on your coolant level.

Yea I will! I have I think they are 862? On a 99 4.8 sitting in the barn guess i better hang on to them just in case I'm assuming they would bolt on that 5.3. I dont see a point in doing it till they crack I guess. Hopefully I'll be close to home when/if that happens

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yea I will! I have I think they are 862? On a 99 4.8 sitting in the barn guess i better hang on to them just in case I'm assuming they would bolt on that 5.3. I dont see a point in doing it till they crack I guess. Hopefully I'll be close to home when/if that happens
A friend of mine has been running seeping heads for all but a year now lol. They leak coolant threw the poor castings and the engine burns it. No external leaks all internal.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
A friend of mine has been running seeping heads for all but a year now lol. They leak coolant threw the poor castings and the engine burns it. No external leaks all internal.
Haha wow that's quite a while!

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
He just keeps an eye on the coolant and hey your steam cleaning your pistons in the process. Lol
Must be the way they seep it dont overheat it? My old grand am leaked internally and out the exhust no water in oil no white smoke but no heat and it would overheat if you drove it long enough

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Must be the way they seep it dont overheat it? My old grand am leaked internally and out the exhust no water in oil no white smoke but no heat and it would overheat if you drove it long enough
The castings were super crappy and had internal holes threw out for coolant to seep threw.

Last edited:

Boonie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
idk if it applies to your year and engine or not, but apparently exhaust manifold bolts are a problem too.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
idk if it applies to your year and engine or not, but apparently exhaust manifold bolts are a problem too.

The list just keeps getting longer lol!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Meh if they the heads do fail swap on a set of 6.0 heads and address any bolt issues then.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well we can add power steering leaks idk pump gear box line you name it it's soaked in power steering fluid. All the wonderful ticks and other engine noises. Oh and almost forgot check it out wonder where my exhaust leaks are?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkorich