new song called 700R4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tobe's84Jimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tobe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra Classic
Engine Size
5.7 350
the new (reman) trans has been fair but quirky. i had those guys install new upper and lower ball joints and that shmancy new avs2 carb thats supposed to have happy endings forever ( its not bad!) and now 4 days later the trans is actin out a bit. part my fault, i had to get it back end of day to go home and they couldn’t get power to the electric choke (i found because the wire was connected to pure thin air), so i took i home idling at 1700 or so and sorted it out over the next couple days ( gettin stranded on the way home, and wiring in a switch for the choke that drapes over the power steering gear and i always forget to turn it off),SO i’ll take it in tomorrow for adjustment. thinkin about gettin some Beef ( a kit ) for my trans. any suggestions, ideas? i need help crossin the street when it comes to transmissions. thanks for any and all.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
How is the trans acting out? Also, make sure the carb is torqued down properly and the gasket was not put on top of chunks of old gasket. I went with the Transgo correction kit in mine, and it’s nice. That’s what everyone will recommend to you, too. If there’s something wrong with the transmission rebuild, however, some VB and governor tweaks likely aren’t gonna save the day.

Tobe's84Jimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tobe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra Classic
Engine Size
5.7 350
hey guys i appreciate the inquiries but i’m a little superstitious. i didnt wanna get descriptive about the issue because i took it in today to get looked at, those guys adjusted the detent cable and its better now. BUT, i guess my complaint is that the trans just feels soft? weak? anemic? i have had more american automatic trans cars than i can remember, almost all were gm a few fords mixed in, even a AMC Gremlin, and they all had good solid-feeling trans in em. and i guess my 700R4 in ‘84 wasnt the best year. SO i guess my question really should be ‘ do i try and gussy up my trans or should i look for a different one’ (?)

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
First thing I would do is check and see if they adjusted the cable right, open the throttle wide open and see if you can pull the cable out more, if you can't GOOD. Then put a pressure gauge on it, fire it up and let it idle and pull the cable by hand all the way and watch the pressure go up and make note of the pressure readings..

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
How out of adjustment was the cable, do you know? If it was all slop or disconnected, driving it around would have done some harm depending on how much and how hard. If it was just loose but with some tension, I don’t think that’d be harmful over the short term; it’d just make the transmission lazy. Was it doing okay when you first got it? Rebuilding it properly should have addressed a few inherent weaknesses, but I imagine they wouldn’t have gone too gung-ho on the rebuild if you didn’t order as much. A Transgo shift correction kit will crispen the feel of the transmission, and those who run Type F fluid say it will do so even more over running Dexron III. Personally, I like the way they feel when they’re working right, but both of my 700s shift pretty snappy, one with a Transgo kit and one without. It’s not slipping or anything, is it?

Tobe's84Jimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tobe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra Classic
Engine Size
5.7 350
sorry, thought the last post didnt make it. and thanks again, my first return question would be what pressure readings are good/ whats not good? and to ‘87 the cable wasnt slop and i had driven the truck for 3 days before i notice any issue. it is much better now, i guess it’s just different than what i’ve had in the past. my ride is a ‘84 jimmy full size, and the only other truck i had was a ‘62 chevy fleetside shortbed with the original 6, so performance for that was that it actually went down the road! but the rest of my rides were all cars. camaro, mustang, ranchero, a regal a cadillac, all kinds. and my trans was reman’d and shipped, not the one from my truck, and its a Jasper product if that matters. thanks ya’ll.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8