New Project.... need advice on motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch724

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I think I would get better quality out of a crate motor than taking a risk on this CL motor. It seems like I would end paying the same amount but have more work on my hands with buying a used motor. With the chevy 12499529 motor I would get close to the 300 hp that I was hoping to get. There is even the option to get a hp improving intake and headers to reach that 300hp goal or I could just pay a little more and get 19210007 motor and the hp problem is solved.
Yes, I figure I would need to put another $500 to $800 into the motor to complete it. What I would end up with would be a nice drop in new motor that I would have to try and adapt to fit the truck.
I guess I have figured out what I'm going to. Thanks fellas for helping me out. I plan on coming back with tons of questions when I go to putting this truck and motor together.
At the moment I have the bed off the truck and my son is doing the por15 to the frame and I have a seadoo motor to rebuild.
If you think of anything else I might want to consider please let me know.

Justin: Do you know the hp and torque numbers on that engine you are looking at? Thats a pretty nice intake kit you are looking at. Does it work with Vortec heads?

justin71105

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Intake/carb are for that vortec motor. Stock the motor is 260hp/330tq as it sits in a 96-01 truck.

In my truck with no cats, no smog, that intake l, carb and headers. I am hoping to make around 300hp with nothing else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Intake/carb are for that vortec motor. Stock the motor is 260hp/330tq as it sits in a 96-01 truck.

In my truck with no cats, no smog, that intake l, carb and headers. I am hoping to make around 300hp with nothing else.

Uhhhh, so you're thinking without smog and just an intake and carb swap you're going to gain 40hp? I don't want to be the negative Nelly here, but in all honesty you're not going to gain anything. In fact, you just might lose some cuz you're going away from computer and injection efficiency. That ******** about smog eating up hp is just that, ******** !!! Sure, it takes a couple hp to run a smog pump and things of that nature, but the biggest hinderence of "smog" hurting an engine is built into the design of the head. Vortec heads don't really have that to speak off and are finally opened up and why everyone wants them for older blocks. At any rate point is, if you're expecting a hp gain you're going to have to do something else. Cam swap, exhaust work etc and it'll all need to match and work together. Not saying it can't be done, but it's just not going to be taking off the injection and putting on a carb. :sorry:

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Those Vortec 350 motors can live a long time....I wouldnt be scared with only 130K showing unless the trucks has been beat to hell and back.

justin71105

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
If I can find the Google link to the article where they dynod it after an intake and headers and gain 40 horsepower I will put it up that is where I got the info. They did four or five test the first one was only an intake a 4-barrel carburetor and headers the second one they changed out the can they were trying to build a 550hp motor and doing dynos at diffrerent stages if i remember correctly.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If I can find the Google link to the article where they dynod it after an intake and headers and gain 40 horsepower I will put it up that is where I got the info. They did four or five test the first one was only an intake a 4-barrel carburetor and headers the second one they changed out the can they were trying to build a 550hp motor and doing dynos at diffrerent stages if i remember correctly.

Cool, I'd really like to see it and see what all they did and how they tested it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara