New c10 owner needs help w/ dash lights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

81 zac

Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi guys I have a 81 c10 with dashboard light issue need some help from the experts recently just installed a new under the dash harness because the old was all cut up and the dash light don't work anymore.i checked the fuse and good then checked the fuse box and it's not going power. What should I do next. Thanks in advance

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thread moved to Electrical & Audio > Gauge, Speedo & Instrumentation category for more responses and title edited to include dash lights.

I'm a bit lost here. So the dashboard lights didn't work due to a cut a harness? And then another harness was installed and they still don't work?

How about the tail lights? Do they work? If they work, it's not a fuse problem since they're on the same circuit. Has anyone checked, tested or swapped the headlight switch? Have you tried turning the headlight knob as to try and adjust the brightness of the dash lights? Sometimes they have bad spots in that adjuster and will work in a different position.

81 zac

Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Tested the fuse box with a light tester and it has no power to it, swapped out light switch to with another also and brake lights work normal.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So does the truck start? No power to nothing at all except the brake lights? No power at all to the fuse box at all?

81 zac

Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Truck runs and drives fine, everything else works except the dash lights that's what's got me confused

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't understand how it can run and every thing work except the dash lights if there's no power at the fuse box. :shrug: Where is this mysterious power coming from for ignition power, brake and headlights etc???

I'm going to go with bad headlight switch which you said it is NOT for certain, or the printed circuit on the instrument cluster may have a break or burn in it. However, I don't claim to be an electrical expert. There's usually a couple other guys that do better with over the computer diagnosis but you'll have to help with clear description of problems. @chengny

81 zac

Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sorry what I mean to say is the rest of the fuse box is getting power that's why everything else works but the slot for the dash light fuse doesn't have power

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sorry what I mean to say is the rest of the fuse box is getting power that's why everything else works but the slot for the dash light fuse doesn't have power

If the dash lights fuse didn't have power, then your tail lights wouldn't be working either. They're on the same circuit to the best of my knowledge. At least it's that way on my 84-86 squares. Hopefully one of guys mo better on electrical diagnosis can confirm.

81 zac

Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey guys thanks for all the help with my problem I was having, got it fixed it ended being the new headlight switch was the issue.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Good to see you got it fixed.

Was thinking it had to be a headlight switch or a bad ground in the dash, but if it was the ground then you wouldn't have any electrical gauges either.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Hey guys thanks for all the help with my problem I was having, got it fixed it ended being the new headlight switch was the issue.
Thats exactly what was wrong with my dash lights when i bought my truck. Cheap easy fix

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK