New but love the data shared here...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tony wallace

Reaction score
First Name
tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 stepside
Engine Size
350 bored .40 over
if i could cut an inch off it, i could hammer on out and then pull clips and axles then the center section and replace it all i guess. that small gear it is stuck in must be jacked up.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Your against the housing it isn't gonna go anymore. Clean the gear oil off of it and apply some heat to it the cast will expand quicker then the hardened pin. It might loosen it up so you can pull it the other way.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
if i could cut an inch off it, i could hammer on out and then pull clips and axles then the center section and replace it all i guess. that small gear it is stuck in must be jacked up.
A cut off wheel is all that's gonna cut that pin. Or a torch but you don't want to bathe your pinion in molten steel.

tony wallace

Reaction score
First Name
tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 stepside
Engine Size
350 bored .40 over
only option now is to find something to cut that pin then continue to knock it out then pull both axles and remove carrier and replace all new i guess.

tony wallace

Reaction score
First Name
tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 stepside
Engine Size
350 bored .40 over
ok i will try the heat. i am scared the left over oil in those gears will catch fire haha

tony wallace

Reaction score
First Name
tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 stepside
Engine Size
350 bored .40 over
thank you for all your help. i am heading back to my shop now. LOL send me your address to 601 594 2285 i would like to send you something for your help.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
thank you for all your help. i am heading back to my shop now. LOL send me your address to 601 594 2285 i would like to send you something for your help.
Not necessary man if anything I said helps you that's enough for me man.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I had a '79 k10 in high school that destroyed a rear wheel bearing. The pin did the same thing. I think the bearing debris got to it and scored it. I ended up having to cut the pin out in 3 pieces. That pin is hardened. It sucked. Good luck. On the plus side, I after I made sure to thoroughly clean the axle tubes and carrier with many cans of brake clean, I didn't have any issues after reassembly.

tony wallace

Reaction score
First Name
tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 stepside
Engine Size
350 bored .40 over
Thanks Christian. what did you cut it with? i can not get a cut off wheel up in there and a saw saw did not scratch it..lol

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I can't remember. It was about 25 years ago now. I know it wasn't a cut off wheel, as I didn't have access to an air compressor back then. I don't think I had a sawzall either. I may have had to hand saw it. I think it sucked so much I mentally blocked that part. it was winter time, and that concrete was COLD.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Heat didnt help to swell the carrier and alleviate the pressure on the cross pin?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Trick with the heat is to put a drift in that hole as a handle and once you can get it to move keep it moving and work it back down and out.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Heat didnt help to swell the carrier and alleviate the pressure on the cross pin?

back then, I don't think it even crossed my mind to try. I think where I went wrong though, was when I tried to hammer it out. Pretty sure I mushroomed it. which escalated it to the point of cutting it out.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
back then, I don't think it even crossed my mind to try. I think where I went wrong though, was when I tried to hammer it out. Pretty sure I mushroomed it. which escalated it to the point of cutting it out.
I'm sure and just imbedded debris further into the housing tightening its grip on the pin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL