New but love the data shared here...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tony wallace

Reaction score
First Name
tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 stepside
Engine Size
350 bored .40 over
i have a 84 chevy stepside i am working on. The rear axle bearing is shot. any help telling me how to remove it? do i have to do in the rear chunk to pull the C clip on these trucks to release the axle to swap bearing out? thanks

tony wallace

Reaction score
First Name
tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 stepside
Engine Size
350 bored .40 over
my dad thinks there is a C clip in the rear end that has to pop out to release the alxe, but on LMC truck parts it shows a clip right before the seal and bearing behind the axle where the tire mounts on the lugs. i just dont want to crack open the case and all that mess if it is not needed on my 84 stepside truck. any ideas? thanks in advance.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I'd pop the cover off to look and replace the fluid and just consider it maintenance. If anything you've got a good gasket, new gear oil, and possibly a new paint job on your cover.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
His info says k20............

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

tony wallace

Reaction score
First Name
tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 stepside
Engine Size
350 bored .40 over
k10 sorry. still new at this. LOL its a 4x4

i just opened it up last week, because i couldnt get the plug out of the front side to check fluid as i just bought it.
i drained oil, replaced it and put a new cover on it with a plug in the cover. just didnt want to open that again if i didnt have to.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
k10 sorry. still new at this. LOL its a 4x4

i just opened it up last week, because i couldnt get the plug out of the front side to check fluid as i just bought it.
i drained oil, replaced it and put a new cover on it with a plug in the cover. just didnt want to open that again if i didnt have to.
The only way your getting the axle out is buy removing the cover again. You have to remove the cross pin from the diff push the axle in and remove the C-clip then pull the axle out.
You must be registered for see images attach

tony wallace

Reaction score
First Name
tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 stepside
Engine Size
350 bored .40 over
thank you very much! i will get started after work. LOL

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
thank you very much! i will get started after work. LOL
No problem. Nice looking truck in your avatar by the way. And of course the carrier stays in the housing I just had this one laying around and figured I give a visual aid.

tony wallace

Reaction score
First Name
tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 stepside
Engine Size
350 bored .40 over
thanks again. i need some used 38.5 tires to fit 15 inch wheels as these tires are shot. any forum you know of that people sell tires like that ? used

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
thanks again. i need some used 38.5 tires to fit 15 inch wheels as these tires are shot. any forum you know of that people sell tires like that ? used
You can poke around here in the classifieds. Or Craigslist usually has a few sets for sale around here anyway.

tony wallace

Reaction score
First Name
tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 stepside
Engine Size
350 bored .40 over
ok guys, major problem need some help please. i removed the small bolt holding the pin between the axles and the steel shaft that keeps both axles from coming inward is stuck. videos i watched the just slid right out. i had to hammer it hard to get it to move. it was a little space between both axle ends it wasnt hanging there. it was hanging when trying to come thru that gear. i hammered it out enough to spin it around and try to pull out with vice grips. wouldnt pull out. now i have it hammered thru so far it wont turn around to be able to grab and try to pull on out. no idea what to do now or how to get it out. it has marks on it like when that wheel bearing went out maybe that axle shaft was moving around and scared it? not sure. i finally said screw it, i will take a saw saw to it and get it out and just buy a new shaft. that saw saw wouldnt begin to cut it. now i am lost...........

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
ok guys, major problem need some help please. i removed the small bolt holding the pin between the axles and the steel shaft that keeps both axles from coming inward is stuck. videos i watched the just slid right out. i had to hammer it hard to get it to move. it was a little space between both axle ends it wasnt hanging there. it was hanging when trying to come thru that gear. i hammered it out enough to spin it around and try to pull out with vice grips. wouldnt pull out. now i have it hammered thru so far it wont turn around to be able to grab and try to pull on out. no idea what to do now or how to get it out. it has marks on it like when that wheel bearing went out maybe that axle shaft was moving around and scared it? not sure. i finally said screw it, i will take a saw saw to it and get it out and just buy a new shaft. that saw saw wouldnt begin to cut it. now i am lost...........
How long is the little bolt you pulled out? Does it have threads and then a smaller portion that's round on the end?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You must be registered for see images attach
Like this....