New bench seat did I get ripped or do well?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Yes those are chalk lines he used to square it all up I guess. It wiped right off

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
And thanks for the feed back

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I like the kid latches I want some hate running seatbelt through

That was the main reason I pulled the trigger and rebuild the seat. I did not like using seatbelts to hold the car seats down. That and my arse was killing me

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Over my years I have had several rounds with upholstery companies and they ALL RIPPED ME OFF. The problem I think is small town limitations. A town of 10,000 people might have one upholstery shop.
And then put new foam in it, which costs several hundred more, and it's waaaay too soft.
If the OP's new seat is even slightly too soft then yes unfortunately he paid too much. If it's firm and the fabric is tight and sewn well, imo he got an ok deal but nothing like Wow great deal.

The best place back in the day (when we still had a car culture) to get interiors done was California. There was so much competition that it was hard to find a bad shop.

Speaking of Cali, I would have to search but there is at least one company that makes model specific leather seat covers. They are more than just seat covers, they are full on pro upholstery you just mount it yourself. Redo the foam and stretch them babies on. A bench seat in high quality leather and workmanship will cost all of $500.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
lol just joshin with ya. Anyway, when you hit quote, you can edit the text within the quotes to say what you like. All in fun man.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
lol just joshin with ya. Anyway, when you hit quote, you can edit the text within the quotes to say what you like. All in fun man.
Yea i know lol i never realised ya can edit it.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Just picker up the truck and I am more than happy:) I feel so tall now lol... Seat is super firm and the child seat latch system he installed is great.

CCSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1985 & 1986
Truck Model
C10 & K5
Engine Size
4.3 & 5.7
Just picker up the truck and I am more than happy:) I feel so tall now lol... Seat is super firm and the child seat latch system he installed is great.
That's all that matters.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think $500 was a good deal, if it holds up for more than a few years.

I got two quotes in the $700-$800 range to re-cover my seat which needs little, if any, work on the frame & springs.

Around 10 years ago, one of those same shops stiffened the sagging seat in my 69 C10, replaced the foam (or padding?), and covered it in heavy coarse cloth & vinyl and charged me $250! So, 10 years later the cost would be 3 times as much??? I know we've had inflation since then, but not 200%.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
My old seat was not so great and I was pretty much sitting on the metal frame. Found a local upholstery guy near where I work. He originally said he would match what I had but make it all black like I wanted. I had the cloth top and vinyl sides. The day he started he said he had to order cloth so he suggested all vinyl. I was not super happy but it is a lot easier to clean and with two boys 6yo and 5yo I went for it. Here are a couple of pictures. He charged $500 for the whole thing and added those safety latches for my kids booster seats. What do you think?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Yikes..yeah imo...you got taken. It should have cost half of what you paid especially since its vinyl. I have done a ton of upholstery work on boats and when marine grade vinyl costs $6-8 per yard....at what you paid. I hope you are extremely happy with paying that much for labor. I certainly hope it came with an unconditionally warranty for the craftsmanship.

Local labor, unless union should never have been that high. Even rebuilding the seat frame, springs and rebolstering with foam should have been under $400. Its a bench seat, super simple. If they were dual buckets, with headrests and piping maybe $500. Sorry to bring the bad news.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK