New 700R4! well its a reman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tobe's84Jimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tobe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra Classic
Engine Size
5.7 350
yep I burned up 2nd gear, or at least sent it to a place where I couldnt find it, and the mechanics at the shop couldnt find it, so I had to get a new one. runs pretty good now i might add, but at a much lower rpm set than the truck was when i first got it 6+ years ago i think. maybe the trans was hurtin the whole time, but i think it was me changing intake manifolds (different heights) and messin with it for far too long before i took it in to have it looked at.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
1984 700R4s are pretty weak, especially for a truck. They are improved over '82 and '83, but most people don't accept them as good until around '87. They did continually get better year after year until they were discontinued. Plus, your TV cable has to be properly adjusted and geometrically correct for it to have the right TV pressures and not burn. It's also a good idea to have lockup working on these plus an external cooler so they don't run hot and cook themeselves to death, especially if you're going hard on them or towing. I wouldn't tow more than a 6x9 loaded trailer in OD, though. At least not with a 700R4. So I'd suggest that you make sure lockup is good to go and you have an external cooler to ensure it lasts a while.

Tobe's84Jimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tobe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra Classic
Engine Size
5.7 350
thanks for the reply 1987GMCJimmy, yeah those guys at Earl’s Garage put in a new trans cooler and their shop is right next to my job so it’s been a good relation so far they’ve taken care of the few things I’ve brought em at a fair price. i have definitely learned the lesson involved with that detent cable, quite sensitive.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I had my 87 700r4 rebuilt as well. The only thing original is the housing. The shop that I have used for 15 years also installed a shift kit as well as some billet corvette internal goodies as well. I dont care what people say about the 700r4 transmission. Built correctly using quality parts, they can hold up to alot more than most people are willing to accept. In od at highway speeds (75 mph), my rpms drop to 1750. My truck is a weekend cruiser with no towing...and yes...I always opt to install a transmission cooler. Here in Phoenix, Az. no transmission is safe from the summer heat even if you don't tow.

greendiesel55

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Silverado
Engine Size
383 Stroker
I have read several places that the TV cable alignment has to be spot on, hope I get that reinstalled correctly...yeesh.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
YES adjustment is very critical, very easy to do though..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell