Needing new shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You need to find the length with the axle at full droop with shocks removed. PO didnt do that to my truck and it was constantly slamming the shock at full ext and made for a terrible ride. I drove the truck a couple of times with no rear shocks and it wasnt bad like that anymore, installed longer shocks and the truck ride is much better.

So to do this. I should unbolt both shocks from each axle, then lift the truck from the frame with a jack so the tires hang to their lowest point and measure between the shock mounting points? Sounds like a lot of work, but if i get a better setup out of it I'd be happy. Guess ill be using the handyman jack this weekend as well.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
So to do this. I should unbolt both shocks from each axle, then lift the truck from the frame with a jack so the tires hang to their lowest point and measure between the shock mounting points? Sounds like a lot of work, but if i get a better setup out of it I'd be happy. Guess ill be using the handyman jack this weekend as well.

if you dont have access to a lift yes, they say you should also measure full compression but I dont have equipment to fully compress 3/4 - 1 ton springs so I measured the shocks i removed fully compressed. Then I went and did some research on shocks to determine what I thought i wanted in a shock. Then started pricing shocks and found that with my springs high dollar shocks werent going to matter much so I took my new info about shocks google monroe catalog and found a shock to fit all my requirements.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Alright everyone, I got some numbers I think.

I'll attach some pics as well in case I misinterpreted them. The only shock that the numbers are not completely messed up on, is the front passenger side.

There are two different sets the upper number I read it as C9922342453 the 453 I know to be there but they are not pictured. The second and lower number reads as 754505 or 751505 the shocks themselves are white valve bodies with what was once white? boots.

I tried searching those numbers but have been unable to find anything. Any suggestions?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Sorry- not sure about your part numbers... when you took the shocks off how did they feel? They they extend out by themselves nicely? How did they feel when you compressed them?

You might find this useful:

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Bilstein 5125.htm

They have charts that show recommended shock for different sized lifts- starting at a 2" lift. These are for the 5100 shocks. And they show what the extended and collapsed lengths are.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thats what i was finding as well. Based on the shock shape, colors, and the C in front of the number I'm thinking rhey are a cheap pro comp or comparable shock. I havent pulled them off yet as i still need to drive it at least until this weekend.

I'm thinking of taking a risk and calling up skyjacker for a set of their m95s i found a deal that i can get a set about for $60 each. Not a bad price for a "performance" monotube, and all the reviews I've read all say very good things. Anyone here have any experiance with them? Fronts m9551 supposed to be 22.58" ext/ 13.75" collap and the Rears m9553 are 27.07" ext/ 15.94" collap so a decent length of travel.

Also I have not been able to measure the travel I need so this very well may change.

carlgm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Truck Year
'85
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Can't go wrong with Bilsteins. Got mine from 4wheelonline. These shocks offer great performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1