Needing new shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The time has come to replace my old worn out pogos. I was really thinking hard about getting the Bilstein 5100s but they specifically say for 4-6 inches of lift. I'm not entirely sure how much lift I have or not. I think its only 2" but I'm not sure.

I went out and measured from the center of the hubs to the bottom of the fender directly above the hub.
Front is 25"
Rear is 23.5"
I thought the measurements being different was strange as it sits level, but it is what it is I suppose.

Anyway, can someone tell me how much lift over stock I am at? and secondly are the bilsteins worth the extra cash or should I just throw on some Skyjacker hydro 7000s? Its my daily driver with occasional offroad use, or is there something else that people are liking to run on these pickups?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
The measurements are different because the height of the wheel openings is different. Measure from the wheel opening to the body contour and you'll see.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
And for the benefit of measurement mine is 25" in the front and 24" in the back. It sits a little tail high. The 'burb is 25" in the front and 23" in the back and sits near level. My suspension is stock, but was re-arced a little. It's probably an inch higher than factory by now, so I'd say you're okay with stock shocks.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks! By those numbers it sounds as though mine is at stock height.

Any shock suggestions?

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Bilstein's will definitely be a nice set of shocks. I currently run a set of Rancho RS9000XL's and I love em with their bit of adjustability. I would love to step up to a set of performance shocks such as KING or FOX shocks one day once I settle on all the suspension work.

Unless you go for a multi-rate shock, then you'll have to make compromises somewhere. If you want them to absorb all the little bumps on the highway, they'll probably be bouncy on the big ones. But if they absorb the big ones, they'll probably be a little stiffer and bouncy with every crack on the road.

What budget are you comfortable with spending purely on shocks? That'll be a big factor as well.

Don't worry about what a company confirms that will/won't fit for our trucks. They almost all have spreadsheets available with the extended/compressed & total travel lengths for all of their produced shocks. If you unbolt your current shocks, you can get the approximate lengths that you should be looking for.

For example: Rancho's lengths for stock height are:

Front:
~12-12.5" compressed
~18.5" extended
~6" travel

Rear:
~14-14.5" compressed
~22" Extended
~8" travel

Last edited:

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Any shock suggestions?

Not particularly. I always ran Monroe Gas Magnums. Honestly with the heavy suspension in the 8600 GVW I don't think it matters that much. They ride like a buckboard regardless.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks all. I'll get a set ordered here soon. Thanks :cheers:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
When I was shopping for shocks, I found that the RANCHO part number for a stock truck was also good for + 2 inches lift.
0-2 inches.
If that helps.
RS 5000 are firm and confident. Predictable even, which I appreciate a great deal.
But yeah...."rides like a buckboard" LOL.
Definately NOT cushy.
Firm is accurate.

Y u no measure the blocks?

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When I was shopping for shocks, I found that the RANCHO part number for a stock truck was also good for + 2 inches lift.
0-2 inches.
If that helps.
RS 5000 are firm and confident. Predictable even, which I appreciate a great deal.
But yeah...."rides like a buckboard" LOL.
Definately NOT cushy.
Firm is accurate.

Y u no measure the blocks?

I did check underneath the rear and it does look to have about 2" blocks i havent got the tape under there just yet. I attached a picture for reference. No blocks under the front and i believe its only 3 leaves.

I did have a set of ranchos on my c20 and i remember bouncing over speed bumps were pretty brutal but they never needed replaced. Whatever is on it now are actually quite nice but waaaayy rusted up, and the bushing are mostly shot. Probably a few of the shocks as well but not all of them yet.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@theblindchicken price at this point I would like to not break the wallet but 80ish a piece for something good that I'll like riding in is definately a price I'd be happy to pay. Better that then 40 each for something that I'll either regret and replace or will wear out and need replaced quickly.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Yellow shocks with blue boots may be Bilsteins. There should be something stamped in them if there's no decal left. Bilsteins usually have a lifetime warranty, so you may save yourself some $$$ if they are.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Looks like a 2" block. Definitely not a 4" or more. Got one of the larger shock bodies as well so they'll take a little bit longer to heat up. I'd take a look at the old shocks for something to go off of. You can find the length of the old ones via the part number too.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Great! I'll pull out my wire brush, WD-40 and scrub around. Hopefully I'll find something on them. Are the part numbers usually stamped into the valve body on the lower side of things?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
You need to find the length with the axle at full droop with shocks removed. PO didnt do that to my truck and it was constantly slamming the shock at full ext and made for a terrible ride. I drove the truck a couple of times with no rear shocks and it wasnt bad like that anymore, installed longer shocks and the truck ride is much better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell