Need some recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Alright so somewhere along the line someone ripped the radio and speakers out of my truck. I have holes in the doors for 6.5” speakers and am going to put an 8” or 10” sub in the truck. I have an amp so far and that’s it. What’s the best speakers, sub, and head unit I can get without spending more than say $200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
For under $200, the question is more like who offers a package that cheap. I like Alpine head units myself, got one in my 86 that has bluetooth, usb, aux input jack, came with the mic for phone set-up, cd player and remote. Got it 4 years ago for around $200 I think. Really like the sound quality and like that the display is a light blue color and is dimmable so not so hard on the eyes at night. Also has a high bit rate so MP3's and similar formats sound really good. As far a speakers go, I like the JL audio, the infinity's, Alpines and Polk audio...sort of depends on what size your looking for from tweets to mids to woofer. If your going to run an amp, to make it really sound good, get a decent equalizer too so you can mess with individual speakers since speaker placement and tinny sound in a truck seem to go hand in hand. Nowdays i rarely put much of a stereo in, just some nice flowmaster 40's so I can listen to the engine sing, lol.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
$200 total? none. check ebay and craigslist.

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
That will only get you junk, like pyle. On that budget you will have to shop used. Audio equipment you get what you pay for has always been my experience.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Refurb headunit from eBay - I paid $80 for my refurb Kenwood KMM-BT518HD (AM/FM bluetooth, usb, aux in, No CD player) back in August.
Rockford Prime, Pioneer TS, Kenwood entry level (KFC-1XXX) speakers $25-$40 a pair
I would go with a 10" MTX TN sub $40
Slim box - $25
Wiring I never go smaller than 4 awg even if its a light system so I will recommend that. You can get a kit with a fuse holder, power, ground, remote and rca wires for about $20-$25. I cant say for sure if you can piece together something cheaper.

Thats $210 right there on the high side assuming you are only installing 1 pair of speakers. You can go cheaper if you swap the known brand stuff for Boss, Cadence, Hifonics, PPI, Powerbass, Power Acoustik, etc. I dont suggest buying used because the market is so saturated now that you can get cheap new stuff instead of buying someone elses used condition stuff where you dont know its true history.

I did my stereo in the Burb for around $200 but I replaced 2 pairs of speakers and didnt install a sub.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Ok I bought an amp off of a buddy for what I thought was a good deal and this is the specs on it. How do I shop for a compatible sub?

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ok I bought an amp off of a buddy for what I thought was a good deal and this is the specs on it. How do I shop for a compatible sub?

You must be registered for see images attach
Get one that can handle 600 watts and 4 ohm so that when you first turn it on it won’t blow. Depending on what brand amp it is that’s the only time it’s gonna see peak watts.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Get one that can handle 600 watts and 4 ohm so that when you first turn it on it won’t blow. Depending on what brand that’s the only time it’s gonna see peak watts.
Will it hurt anything to buy one that is bigger?

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Nope. Just make sure it’s 4 ohm if your gonna run it bridged
Alright I started ordering some stuff today. So far I’m at
Amp- $20
Speakers- $45 (4 6.5” speakers)
Head unit- $6 ( I had one laying around that I can’t remember if it works or not but it needed a new wiring harness)
So all that leaves me to buy is sub.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Alright I started ordering some stuff today. So far I’m at
Amp- $20
Speakers- $45 (4 6.5” speakers)
Head unit- $6 ( I had one laying around that I can’t remember if it works or not but it needed a new wiring harness)
So all that leaves me to buy is sub.

I was gonna put a system in my black truck but there is no room for what I want so I put it in the exploder lol now my grandson watches movies in the turd with theater quality sound

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
I got a sub today and put it in the truck. It’s just a 10” but it’s good enough for me. I have it sitting behind my center console on the floor in the back seat. I paid $20 for it too so that means I’m in this whole system for just under $100

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1