Need some guidance on my plan.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rohrs84GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Hey guys,
I've decided I am going to lift my truck as part of my build. And I know a million people talk about the same things but I'm still lost. I'm in the range where everything is very debateable/up in the air and it's driving me f%#&ing crazy.
Truck info
84 GMC k1500
350 with mild performance cam and vortec heads
TH-350
1/2 ton axles
3:08 gears

Here what I am shooting for:
I want to get rid of current wheels. (They are currently 16")
I want rally wheels
I want something manageable and comfy in the streets/freeway but can still hold its weight off road. Off road meaning semi-steep climbs, some mud, snow, etc. No crazy rock climbing but more of a camp whereever and while out there be able to play around. Something that can hold it's own.
I want to not modify body if I dont have to and i absolutely do not want to rub tires at anytime
Lastly i dont want tires to look tiny. I want it to look correct. Also want to be able to haul stuff nothing crazy but a trailer with a car would be around the weight range I'm looking for.

Here is my floating plan:
LIFT:
Install ORD 4" suspension lift with bilstein shocks and tuff country ez ride springs. Flip shackle in rear.
New u-bolts, pitman arm, extended brake lines, greaseable sway bar bushings, swaybar disconnect, upgraded front shackles.
- 33x12.5xr15 tires with 15x8 rally wheels
Swap gears to 3:73's

Where I'm lost is what makes the most sense for what I want?
4" with 33x12.5 tires
4" with 35" tires and 15x8 wheel?
3" with 33x12.5 tire and 15x8 wheel?

And for gearing 3:73 or something else?

P.s. The whole 3-6" lift range and tire combination is exhausting...

Attached are wheels I want

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hey guys,
I've decided I am going to lift my truck as part of my build. And I know a million people talk about the same things but I'm still lost. I'm in the range where everything is very debateable/up in the air and it's driving me f%#&ing crazy.
Truck info
84 GMC k1500
350 with mild performance cam and vortec heads
TH-350
1/2 ton axles
3:08 gears

Here what I am shooting for:
I want to get rid of current wheels. (They are currently 16")
I want rally wheels
I want something manageable and comfy in the streets/freeway but can still hold its weight off road. Off road meaning semi-steep climbs, some mud, snow, etc. No crazy rock climbing but more of a camp whereever and while out there be able to play around. Something that can hold it's own.
I want to not modify body if I dont have to and i absolutely do not want to rub tires at anytime
Lastly i dont want tires to look tiny. I want it to look correct. Also want to be able to haul stuff nothing crazy but a trailer with a car would be around the weight range I'm looking for.

Here is my floating plan:
LIFT:
Install ORD 4" suspension lift with bilstein shocks and tuff country ez ride springs. Flip shackle in rear.
New u-bolts, pitman arm, extended brake lines, greaseable sway bar bushings, swaybar disconnect, upgraded front shackles.
- 33x12.5xr15 tires with 15x8 rally wheels
Swap gears to 3:73's

Where I'm lost is what makes the most sense for what I want?
4" with 33x12.5 tires
4" with 35" tires and 15x8 wheel?
3" with 33x12.5 tire and 15x8 wheel?

And for gearing 3:73 or something else?

P.s. The whole 3-6" lift range and tire combination is exhausting...

Attached are wheels I want

You must be registered for see images attach
Those are the wheels I got with 36-12.50s and I hope you realize the shackle flip is 4" all by itself. With 33s 3.73 would be fine for what you want to do with your truck. You always have Lo range if you need it.

Oldrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
I have an 85 K2500 with a 4 inch lift. It has always run on 33X12.5 tires on 16.5" wheels. Plenty of clearance. I am now running on 17" rims. Forget the tire size but basically the same as the 33X12.5
A 4" lift does not really give enough clearance for 35" tires. They fit but will hit in hard turns and bumps unless you cut out the wells a little.
Hope this helps.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I just want to add most times I skim and skip these questions but you gave enough info and seem like you have a plan and did some research so good job.:waytogo:

Rohrs84GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
I have an 85 K2500 with a 4 inch lift. It has always run on 33X12.5 tires on 16.5" wheels. Plenty of clearance. I am now running on 17" rims. Forget the tire size but basically the same as the 33X12.5
A 4" lift does not really give enough clearance for 35" tires. They fit but will hit in hard turns and bumps unless you cut out the wells a little.
Hope this helps.

Definitely helps. If you could do it over would you go 35's and cut the wheel wells?

Rohrs84GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
I just want to add most times I skim and skip these questions but you gave enough info and seem like you have a plan and did some research so good job.:waytogo:

Thanks I tried and knew going into it it was a polluted topic. So in your eyes with what I want to accomplish a 4" suspension lift, flip rear shackles, 33's, and 3:73's would be good way to go or would you recommend something else?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thanks I tried and knew going into it it was a polluted topic. So in your eyes with what I want to accomplish a 4" suspension lift, flip rear shackles, 33's, and 3:73's would be good way to go or would you recommend something else?
Sounds like a good combination. You will only need front springs though. Like I said the shackle flip is 4" alone. I have a 6" suspension 6" spring up front, 2" add a leaf and shackle flip in the rear and 2" body lift. The Superlift flip brackets are swappable side to side so you can use on 52" or 56" springs. But also know that the shackle flip moves your axle front a bit. But also corrects pinion angle in the process.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
This is the exact lift that I pieced together on my truck! Except I went with Rancho RS9000XL shocks.

4" and 33's will give you no trouble at all. 4" and 35's will cause some rubbing when hitting dips or bumps while turning especially. (I wanted to run 35's so increased the lift in the front springs by adding a zero rate and an add a leaf).

I've got a set of factory 4.11's on my truck. So I don't feel the need to regear yet.

She rides pretty smooth now. Used to be like there was no rear suspension at all. The rear shackle flip helps get the springs and shackles actually moving while increasing your height. The greaseable bolts and bushings made the rear end smoother too since the factory bushings and shackles were actually designed to grip one another so there wasn't as much little movements in them.

Rohrs84GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
This is the exact lift that I pieced together on my truck! Except I went with Rancho RS9000XL shocks.

4" and 33's will give you no trouble at all. 4" and 35's will cause some rubbing when hitting dips or bumps while turning especially. (I wanted to run 35's so increased the lift in the front springs by adding a zero rate and an add a leaf).

I've got a set of factory 4.11's on my truck. So I don't feel the need to regear yet.

She rides pretty smooth now. Used to be like there was no rear suspension at all. The rear shackle flip helps get the springs and shackles actually moving while increasing your height. The greaseable bolts and bushings made the rear end smoother too since the factory bushings and shackles were actually designed to grip one another so there wasn't as much little movements in them.

What made you decide on the rancho's? and with the 4:11's how is the freeway driving?

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
The 4.11's is what came from factory in my truck. Never changed them out from the original tires (around 28-29"). Dad always ran 33's on a stock lift, but he trimmed the inside of the fenders a little.

Throughout high school and after, I ran 32's and she was pretty peppy. Had a considerable amount of getup and go. Even on the freeway. Stickin the 35's on there tamed her a little bit, but was also having some power loss due to increasing engine troubles.

On the freeway I would sit around 2800-3000 rpms. (65-80ish).

I went with the Rancho RS9000XL's due to their adjustability (and they were having a summer rebate on them, think it was like $2-250 for 4 after MiR). Turned all the way down and she'd be bouncing for a ways after a fairly large bump in the road. Turned all the way up made them pretty stiff and you felt a lot of the road, but it would absorb that same freeway bump in one bounce.

Considering your location is the palisades.. the bump I use for comparison is the one on the 405 right about Avalon / Carson.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
33s can still rub metal if you twist it up enough. Wide rims or less than stock wheel offset will make it worse.
A zero-rate leaf/block can be used to move the diff forward and this can help gain clearance.
Even 32s can rub.
Your plan sounds... sound. You're on your way bud.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
33s can still rub metal if you twist it up enough. Wide rims or less than stock wheel offset will make it worse.
A zero-rate leaf/block can be used to move the diff forward and this can help gain clearance.
Even 32s can rub.
Your plan sounds... sound. You're on your way bud.
He wants to run 15x8 stock rally's which is awsome. And the shackle flip kicks the axle forward and points the pinion up.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
He wants to run 15x8 stock rally's which is awsome. And the shackle flip kicks the axle forward and points the pinion up.
Yes agreed on the 15x8s.
Moving axle forward I'm talking about front axle. That's where rubber meets metal.
But while we're here, yes a shackle flip moves the rear wheels forward.
So move the cab and box forward on the mounts! This gives a little extra clearance behind front wheels to fender (where the usual tire rub ruins your day) and with luck makes up for the displaced rear wheel in fender opening! Well we can hope.. Every truck is a little different.

Rohrs84GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Considering your location is the palisades.. the bump I use for comparison is the one on the 405 right about Avalon / Carson.

Hahaha I know the exact bump! That whole section is ridiculous in the truck.

Where are you in California?

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Hahaha I know the exact bump! That whole section is ridiculous in the truck.

Where are you in California?
Right down the road in the big ol Long Beach.

Another fun one is crossing the tracks in that right hand lane going east on Del Amo just after the Alameda bridge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey