Need more Power!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
One even better is a 500ci Cad.
Unless it's a 70 Cad 500 the 472 is better. After 71 they dropped 2 points in Compression and got NOx smog bumps put in the heads and it hurt the performance badly. I too prefer the 68-70 Olds or even a late year 67 425 that comes factory with a forged crank and some good heads.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
That had been my plan originally, until I wound up with the diesel. Rather anemic power wise, but the simplicity appeals to me.
Lol, I loved my 6.2l in my 86 Burb so much, (severe sarcasm alert) that I bought a crate 6.5l, had Redding Fuel injection in California build me a pump with some nice injectors and put the Banks stinger kit on it and did a 3" dual exhaust on it. Was like the difference between a v6 and a big block in a pickup, loved it!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
But once you dump the peanut ports that 454 will wake up at top end. But there is the dished pistons that hurt too.
Yes, it's hurt all over. It's a friggin sled IMO. The 3.42's helped it a little bit after I sold the 14bFF with 3.21's out of it and installed the Semi Float. I didn't think it made that big of a difference and that axle has been in the truck for about 3 years now. Just a couple weeks I left the buddies house and I was pissed. Put it in D and that 1 wheel tire fryer cooked for the length of about 4 houses. Nothing but smoke in the mirror. I didn't realize it went that long until I went back over the next day. Oooops, I bet I pissed off some neighbors. Sure enough, I heard about it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
One even better is a 500ci Cad.
The only Cad 500 worth having is the 70 model. In 71 they dropped 2 points in compression and got NOx smog bumps in the head. Go with a 70 or earlier Cad 472 and you'll spin a little more rpm too. Same in the Olds 455. I wish I'd never had sold that 68 455 I had, or that 67 425 with the forged crank.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
May be a little out of the ordinary, but my favorite rwd truck engine is the 455 Oldsmobile. Full dressed minus flywheel stock they weighed 620 lbs, add a cam, headers, intake, carb and updated HEI and your looking at a healthy 400+ hp and well over 500 ft/lbs of torque, all under 4500 rpm. You do need to do some oil passage work since stock was very poor on oil return and it's cheaper to stick with an automatic (preferably TH400) instead of machine work on crank for 4 speed. I find them in the wrecking yards still, strip them down, do the machine work, upgrade to a flat top piston and maybe a good 850 cfm carb, and if did most everything myself was usually able to stay within the $1500 mark as long as I picked up some used stuff like top end on ebay or craigslist. Guaranteed to be a tire shredding monster!
And that isn't out of the ordinary at all. My dream truck was to have an Olds Big Block in it. I think I carried on for 2 years about it and then financial BS, I sold them. I'd still like to do it. I was going to call the truck a ChevrOldslet and was going to get this on the grill and a big sticker made for the back glass.

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
And that isn't out of the ordinary at all. My dream truck was to have an Olds Big Block in it. I think I carried on for 2 years about it and then financial BS, I sold them. I'd still like to do it. I was going to call the truck a ChevrOldslet and was going to get this on the grill and a big sticker made for the back glass.

You must be registered for see images attach
My brother ran a built up Olds 350 in his 74 C10 he used 5.7 diesel mounts and a BOP belled th350.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It probably ran real good too. Still a semi smogger engine at 74, but at least it was not a windowed main Olds 350. You know with exception of Cad, All GM divisions had a 350. Said that Olds on paper is the one that should be the best performance of them all. It's a Square bore x stroke engine from the factory.
If I had money to play, I'd build an Olds 350 DX block which is the Diesel used in the late 70's before the 6.2. Bigger crank, bigger mains and all you had to do was change heads to gas heads, pick out a nice gas cam grind and raise hell with a stout ass bottom end. Mondellos even makes a stroker crank for the DX block and makes big cubes small block. How about a 472 small block Olds? Yes it's true !!! 472 Cubic Inches from an Olds Diesel small block. Sadly, cuz they were junk diesel, so many of them got scrapped before anyone realized they made great race 350 small blocks.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
It probably ran real good too. Still a semi smogger engine at 74, but at least it was not a windowed main Olds 350. You know with exception of Cad, All GM divisions had a 350. Said that Olds on paper is the one that should be the best performance of them all. It's a Square bore x stroke engine from the factory.
If I had money to play, I'd build an Olds 350 DX block which is the Diesel used in the late 70's before the 6.2. Bigger crank, bigger mains and all you had to do was change heads to gas heads, pick out a nice gas cam grind and raise hell with a stout ass bottom end. Mondellos even makes a stroker crank for the DX block and makes big cubes small block. How about a 472 small block Olds? Yes it's true !!! 472 Cubic Inches from an Olds Diesel small block. Sadly, cuz they were junk diesel, so many of them got scrapped before anyone realized they made great race 350 small blocks.
The Olds he used stared its life as a Rocket as did the one I put in my 81 sedan Deville. The caddy was diesel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg