Need Help With Shock Selection Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dpmcvittie

Reaction score
First Name
dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
400 sbc
My daily driver is 85 Silverado 4x4, AT, SWB.
Every little bump in the road is like running over railroad tracks, I mean Stiff!
I would like the ride to be much much smoother. I believe the orig owner added a leaf support but theres no lift kit. Tires are 33x12.5xR15LT

Addendum: Has Rough Country R5000 shocks

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'd like to see a picture of that. If it doesn't have a lift kit, you can just go on RockAuto and get you a set of Monroes for cheaper than they would cost in the store. I'd do a little better than the economy shocks because a K-truck is a stiff ride with solid axles on both ends. Also, if you don't need those helpers, they'll degrade your ride quality so I'd take them off. If you do need them, though, fresh shocks will take the edge off the current ride quality. Have you done the bounce test and everything?

dpmcvittie

Reaction score
First Name
dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
400 sbc
Whats the bounce test? Sorry not familiar. And I tried uploading a pict but its too big of jpeg and Im not too handy with this computer stuff

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You get on the back bumper for the rears and the hood/fenders for the front and bounce the **** out of it. If it only bounces one good time and subsides, you're pretty good. If you get a lot of reverberation, that means your shocks are bad. You can test all four that way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey