Need help! Gage swap can it be done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rohrs84GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Hi everyone, I've got an 84 gmc 4x4 I'm building and it' got a huge detached tach on the steering column. I want to get rid of it.

What I want:
  • Tach added to cluster.
    • Either the tach/fuel combo or removing the clock works for me (though I'm a sucker for **** like that clock. I dig it)
  • I also want to keep all my idiot lights.
Is it possible to get all of the above? I found a lot of info but most made it sound as though you'd have to lose idiot lights.

Just fyi I also plan to swap with led's

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rohrs84GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
This is one of the gauges I was looking at.
gmsports.com/content/new-tachometer-1973-1988-chevy-and-gmc-trucks

But it sounded like I'd lose idiot lights

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Someone check me if I'm wrong, but that GM Sports gauge is designed so that little fuel gauge can work with the factory harness and PC, you don't have to switch cluster housings, and the tach simply has the external wire. So you wouldn't have to ditch your idiot light printed circuit, just adapt your cluster per the instructions. You would, however, lose your 4x4 and Choke indicator lights (87+ would lose 4x4 and SES for any thread spectators). If you went the route of getting an OEM tach and a small fuel gauge, you'd keep the indicator lights but lose the clock and the idiot lights, and you'd have to get the correct housing and printed circuit. To me, it makes a lot more sense to go the latter route, and I plan to someday. I enjoy the 4x4 light (I guess the same way you feel about the little Quartz clock), the SES light (since mine's an '87) is an imperative diagnostic tool that's presence is non-negotiable, and I couldn't care less about the clock. On a carbed truck, the 4x4 light is more of a novelty, but the choke light does give information on Choke functionality and a sort of backup oil pressure indicator that you'd lose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL