Need Help Fuel Related

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77GMCHS

Reaction score
First Name
D
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 High Sierra
Engine Size
350 V8
I have a 77 GMC C10 High Sierra it is a Dual Gas Tank. I have changed the Mechanical Fuel Pump to get it to run (it does kinda) but shuts off within a couple seconds unless being directly fed through a jerry can. So I went and bought the fuel tank splitter hoping to be able to solve the problem but I don't think it did since it won't pump gas from the right tank.

What should I do to be able to run off both tanks?

Next thing I'm planning on doing is removing both gas tanks and checking them and the floater/pump mechanism.

if anyone has any information I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
So I went and bought the fuel tank splitter hoping to be able to solve the problem but I don't think it did since it won't pump gas from the right tank.

What should I do to be able to run off both tanks?

So you are saying that the pump will pull out of the LH tank (and run the engine fine) but not the RH one - correct?

77GMCHS

Reaction score
First Name
D
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 High Sierra
Engine Size
350 V8
So you are saying that the pump will pull out of the LH tank (and run the engine fine) but not the RH one - correct?

Yes but even with gas in the tank it runs for a little while.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Did the new fuel pump have the same number of lines as the old one? Some of them have only the feed line, but many also have a 2nd line to return fuel to the tank.

You also need to make sure the tank has either a vent cap, or has a vent line running up to an evaporative fuel canister under the hood (wiii be on driver's side , on radiator support next to the fan shroud).

For troubleshooting, take the solenoid under the truck out of the system and just connect one tank directly to the fuel line that runs to the pump. Then make sure that tank has at least 5 gallons of gas (or more).

Then go to the carburetor, and if its a Quadrajet carefully unscrew the fitting on the inlet and remove the barrel-shaped filter inside. Clean or replace the filter. If someone has also added an external inline filter, replace that also.

Bruce

Last edited:

77GMCHS

Reaction score
First Name
D
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 High Sierra
Engine Size
350 V8
Did the new fuel pump have the same number of lines as the old one? Some of them have only the feed line, but many also have a 2nd line to return fuel to the tank.

You also need to make sure the tank has either a vent cap, or has a vent line running up to an evaporative fuel canister under the hood (wiii be on driver's side , on radiator support next to the fan shroud).

For troubleshooting, take the solenoid under the truck out of the system and just connect one tank directly to the fuel line that runs to the pump. Then make sure that tank has at least 5 gallons of gas (or more).

Then go to the carburetor, and if its a Quadrajet carefully unscrew the fitting on the inlet and remove the barrel-shaped filter inside. Clean or replace the filter. If someone has also added an external inline filter, replace that also.

Bruce

Yes it does. The main line goes from the pump and connects to the fuel splitter solenoid.

I will need to go over the troubleshooting you suggested as well as the vent cap and cannister.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell