Need advice on mechanical fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208
The fuel pump died in Red today. Luckily, it died in the driveway, This is the first time I've had to replace a SBC mech fuel pump, and I see several different options for a stock replacement.

The engine is stock, except for an Elderbrock performer intake and Holley 600 carb. I plan on replacing the heads and cam in the future. Nothing crazy, just parts that will boost low rpm torque.

So, let the advice, and opinions, fly, Which brand/model fuel pump do you like, and why?

Thanks

Jake

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've always ran whatever the parts house gave me when I asked for a fuel pump. Word I heard is they are really all the same. Come to think of it, I've only changed it once in like 7 years and that was because o pulled the engine to drop it into my current truck and thought why the hell not

My Rec would be, don't spend extra money where you don't have to.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
X2 on above comment, id just go with one of the stock options. I work pt time at Oreillys and when most the gear heads come in they buy the mechanical pumps unless they're running electronic fuel pumps

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Like all said, the mechanicals seem to all do the job about equal.
Pro Tip #189 - When putting an old square back into service that has been sitting up for a few years ALWAYS replace the mechanical pump. Ethanol is really hard on the internal rubber parts.
Pro Tip #136 - Do yourself a favor and replace the two (2) short rubber hoses at the pump. Ethanol is very hard on the hoses built 30 years ago. Even if there is not an outright hose failure, internal debris breaking off the inside of the hose will cause you grief at the carburetor.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Stock pump is all that's needed..

Jake_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208
Thanks guys. I'll grab a parts store special on the way home.

Jake

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
For me, it depends on your weather, and how long it sits between use.

Example, I am considering switching to electric fuel pump on my plow truck, because in the -10 weather, after it's sat for a month, cranking the engine to pump the fuel up to the carb sometimes is enough to drain the battery down enough to not spin fast enough to fire by the time the fuel gets there.

With the electric, you don't have to spin the engine to get fuel there.

If you run it every day, the fuel doesn't evaporate, and it will pop right off.

Anyone else have thoughts on that idea? Or is my fuel pump just bad, LOL.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
For me, it depends on your weather, and how long it sits between use.

Example, I am considering switching to electric fuel pump on my plow truck, because in the -10 weather, after it's sat for a month, cranking the engine to pump the fuel up to the carb sometimes is enough to drain the battery down enough to not spin fast enough to fire by the time the fuel gets there.

With the electric, you don't have to spin the engine to get fuel there.

If you run it every day, the fuel doesn't evaporate, and it will pop right off.

Anyone else have thoughts on that idea? Or is my fuel pump just bad, LOL.

This is legitimate. I would have the same challenge. For me a little time on the charger as well as cranking for the count of three then stop, pump the pedal three times and crank again repeated untill it started seemed to work the best. I gave thought to an electric pump I could switch on as needed for priming only as well.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
This is legitimate. I would have the same challenge. For me a little time on the charger as well as cranking for the count of three then stop, pump the pedal three times and crank again repeated untill it started seemed to work the best. I gave thought to an electric pump I could switch on as needed for priming only as well.

See, I gotta figure out if the mechanical pumps will allow an electric to pump through, and whether the electric could allow fuel to pass through from the mechanical, so i could put a switch on to use til it's primed..

Jake_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208
New fuel pump is in, along with new rubber lines. The fuel filter is now completely full, where before it was barely half full with the engine running.

Update: I went on a test drive after a summer evening thunderstorm. Rolled into the throttle in 1st, and spun the tires into 2nd until I let off the throttle. Red has way more power than it ever has before.

Jake

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
See, I gotta figure out if the mechanical pumps will allow an electric to pump through, and whether the electric could allow fuel to pass through from the mechanical, so i could put a switch on to use til it's primed..

I had a low pressure electric fuel pump behind my manual pump in my street/strip truck. It was just on a toggle switch and only used when needed like for vapor lock situation when it would get hot sitting in Los Angeles traffic with that big cam. It did come in handy too when the fuel pump actually did fail. I ran on that E pump for about a week before I got around to replacing the manual pump. Pretty certain the manual pump is flow through without hurting it with a 4-8 psi pump.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I had a low pressure electric fuel pump behind my manual pump in my street/strip truck. It was just on a toggle switch and only used when needed like for vapor lock situation when it would get hot sitting in Los Angeles traffic with that big cam. It did come in handy too when the fuel pump actually did fail. I ran on that E pump for about a week before I got around to replacing the manual pump. Pretty certain the manual pump is flow through without hurting it with a 4-8 psi pump.

I got this one, would this be enough to use in this manner?

Specs are 4-6 psi..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BZX92K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
New fuel pump is in, along with new rubber lines. The fuel filter is now completely full, where before it was barely half full with the engine running.

Update: I went on a test drive after a summer evening thunderstorm. Rolled into the throttle in 1st, and spun the tires into 2nd until I let off the throttle. Red has way more power than it ever has before.

Jake

Great you got it going good!

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
I was going to change out my mech pump but every one I found showed the pump connections on the bottom, while mine are on the top. Can it be installed either way?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Pump only goes on one way, I've never seen the connections on the top though must be a pump from another type vehicle, get one for your year and it'll hook right up.