Need a new torque converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
454/400 truck
Im getting ready for my second try at putting a good engine in my truck. Lol. Need to replace my torque converter its chipped on the front. Stock truck engine just a 91 gen 5. Not looking to spending a bunch of money on anything crazy. But want a decent one. Anyone had good luck with autozone rebuilt converters? Told him what I had this one will be here Tuesday.

The number on my old one did'nt come back with anything useful. Guessing its not original anyways. Sticker looks newer to me.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hey, how long has your user name been changed? Lol

I've always got stock type converters from the shop that I have do my rebuilds. Trustworthy, family run type place. They get a beefed up type for towing and they aren't expensive. I don't know the supplier of them. But if you have a good trans shop around, maybe ask them about getting you a good converter?

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hey, how long has your user name been changed? Lol

I've always got stock type converters from the shop that I have do my rebuilds. Trustworthy, family run type place. They get a beefed up type for towing and they aren't expensive. I don't know the supplier of them. But if you have a good trans shop around, maybe ask them about getting you a good converter?

I just changed it. Lol. I neved even thought about a trans shop. Theres one in town ill have to call tomorrow. Never been there or heard anything about them. You would think they would use decent parts since they dont want any thing coming back.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I just changed it. Lol. I neved even thought about a trans shop. Theres one in town ill have to call tomorrow. Never been there or heard anything about them. You would think they would use decent parts since they dont want any thing coming back.
especially in an HD applciation or a brand new truck which would be infinitely more work to remove

1985c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Do you know why the snout cracked like that? Maybe the wrong flex plate or maybe your crank had a pilot bearing/bushing installed from a manual? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a torque converter about crack like that.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Do you know why the snout cracked like that? Maybe the wrong flex plate or maybe your crank had a pilot bearing/bushing installed from a manual? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a torque converter about crack like that.
Not a clue. Somewhere on here I made a post about it. They thought maybe the crank had hit it on install. No it had the right flywheel and I removed the pilot bearing. A few had seen it happen before.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Since im so bad about updating My threads. I called local trans shop they used the same torque converter said they had worked good for them. But they wanted more money so I ordered it from AZ. And I had a 10% off coupon plus 20 bucks on my rewards. One of the few workers I trust there had good things to say awell. Motors in just need hooked up the rest of the way so ill know how it works soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP