N00b from SWMO with a slightly unique setup.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
hello,

my name is Matt and i just bought an 86 c10 scottsdale.

the truck has a kinda unique set up with a 454 and a nv4500 5 speed.

truck needs some work done to it like the 5th gear just went out the day after i brought the truck home. seems to be a common issue with these transmissions.

hope to learn from you guys and hopefully add to the community.

thanks,

Matt

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Welcome nice looking ride some folks are gonna be a bit jealous of your set up. Also your last 3 pics are broken.

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
yea i saw that. its actually the same 3 pics they just didnt add to the post correctly and i couldnt see to remove them when i edited the post to make them work.

also thanks. not much to be jeallous of just yet. this trans is wack. 1st gear is useless and without 5th working its basically a 3 speed lol.

many mods to come though.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
yea i saw that. its actually the same 3 pics they just didnt add to the post correctly and i couldnt see to remove them when i edited the post to make them work.

also thanks. not much to be jeallous of just yet. this trans is wack. 1st gear is useless and without 5th working its basically a 3 speed lol.

many mods to come though.
Cool you are encouraged to start a build thread to document your progress in the Under construction thread

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Welcome. Iirc, the nv4500 was really particular about the fluid it ran. From what I understand if it wasn't GM's oem fluid, it caused a lot of problems.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Welcome. Iirc, the nv4500 was really particular about the fluid it ran. From what I understand if it wasn't GM's oem fluid, it caused a lot of problems.
It don’t run ATF?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
It don’t run ATF?

I'm thinking GM ran Syncromesh, or something similar in them. It was one of those things that kind of turned me off on that trans, because you couldn't get away with just trans fluid or gear lube. It wasn't cheap. and you had to get it from the dealer.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'm thinking GM ran Syncromesh, or something similar in them. It was one of those things that kind of turned me off on that trans, because you couldn't get away with just trans fluid or gear lube. It wasn't cheap. and you had to get it from the dealer.
A proprietary blend of 11 herbs and spices huh?

Reactions: WFO

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Pretty much.
Ironic how if you don’t use that fluid it bitches up the trans and makes it unwarrantable. Almost like they knew it was boarder line crap and needed an out so to speak

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Ironic how if you don’t use that fluid it bitches up the trans and makes it unwarrantable. Almost like they knew it was boarder line crap and needed an out so to speak
Yeah, it kind of takes the deadnuts reliability out of the manual trans. The old manual boxes, you could almost pour anything into to lubricate it and get away with it. When you have to run a specific fluid though, just to keep it from burning up, takes a lot away. The problem is , that is about the only "heavy duty" manual truck 5 spd. When I had my jeep, everybody wanted the 4500, so they could have the creeper gear and overdrive. I have no idea why they screwed up the design to where it wouldn't run on common fluids without destroying itself.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yeah, it kind of takes the deadnuts reliability out of the manual trans. The old manual boxes, you could almost pour anything into to lubricate it and get away with it. When you have to run a specific fluid though, just to keep it from burning up, takes a lot away. The problem is , that is about the only "heavy duty" manual truck 5 spd. When I had my jeep, everybody wanted the 4500, so they could have the creeper gear and overdrive. I have no idea why they screwed up the design to where it wouldn't run on common fluids without destroying itself.
Is it Getrag or a GM copy?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
What about the Dodge trucks that had them?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg