My truck will shut off without warning OR will fail to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stlbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
bobby
Truck Year
91'
Truck Model
k3500 4x4 Burban'
Engine Size
It is a random thing.Will go months and its all hugs then..NADA..no click,no sound at all it is like someone ran off with the battery,kinda.Because i go blow the horn,headlights work...buuut the PW dont..?? I have cked.
Starter
Fusible link to said starter
Battery
wiring harness in column
Ignition switch in column was replaced because i was getting no voltage to the 's' terminal when putting the key in the start the darn truck position.
BUT i was moving my tilt up and down while key was in start position and she fired up...

SO my verdict is a column OR rebuild the tilt in my column please feel free to offer any thoughts..

dangonzo

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm having the same issue as you. My truck wouldn't start but adjusting the tilt would allow it to start, until recently and now it won't start at all. I've replaced the ignition switch and that didn't help at all. Did you find the solution for this?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It could be the rack in the column and you're not getting a full push of the rod down to the ignition switch. The kit is cheap but it's a royal PITA. Ask me how I know? OK don't ask, I'll just tell you. I've replaced one. Actually 2. Bring all your patience and borrow some too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Don't leave yourselves stranded. You will have to turn your key to the on position so the steering wheel unlocks, but when you can't get a full push on the rod, get some pliers, grab that rod that follows the steering column down to the ignition switch, and push the rod down toward the firewall into the start position, then release when it starts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54