My 93 E-350 Box Van

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know, I know, its a Ford. But, even though it is, I love this Ford. I bought it direct from Ryder in 98 with 123K miles on it. I have replaced the battery, but front brake pads on it, and its never left me stranded. However I did finally have a break down in 300 miles from home this summer. The Cat Converter clogged up and I had to drill holes in it so it would run over 20 mph. Been a great truck.
Had a Multi Port Fuel Injected 460 and runs like a raped ape with a Dana 70 4.10 gear end in it.

Attachments

• rydervan-003.jpg
    rydervan-003.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 81
  • rydervan-004.jpg
    rydervan-004.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 79

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here is what sold me on the truck when I bought it. The interior and have 4 Full Size Seats. You can fit 4 big adults in the cab easily and in comfort without problem. Those back seats also fold down for more storage, which I rarely do since there is plenty of room in the box, and a sliding door to get back there from the cab.

Attachments

• E350Int 004.jpg
    E350Int 004.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 103
  • E350Int 001.jpg
    E350Int 001.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 90

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Interior Pics

Attachments

• E350Int 010.jpg
    E350Int 010.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 88
  • E350Int 006.jpg
    E350Int 006.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 107

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Brings back memories of moving. that truck is kick ass.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I'm surprised it has a cat...I would thing the GVW would be above the limit.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've only had the doghouse over the engine off twice in the 12 years I've owned it. Once when I first got it to remove the 65mph governor, and recenlty when I was diagnosing the clogged cat, I replaced the cap, rotor, and spark plugs. Also replaced the fuel filter and then dedided everything else was good, no check engine light. Didn't feel much exhaust out the tailpipe, so I took a gamble assuming it had to be a clogged cat and drilled about 8 holes in the cat and drove it home from Abilene to OKC fully loaded with my daughter and son in laws stuff towing my 18ft trailer loaded, at 75-90mph. The truck is slow to get the speed up, but once it gets there, and whatever weight it'll run uphill at about any speed you want it to. I don't really know what it will run, I just know its fast enough, and even a bit stupid to be running with the 85mph speed mega pegged with that much weight. It was a military move so we had to weight before and after since that is how the military knows what to pay them for a DIY move. The truck, trailer and all the stuff on it weighed 14,100 lbs and still climbed small upgrades at speedo pegged. I was just in a hurry, cuz I was supposed to be there to Abiline and back to OKC in the same day. With the truck broke down, I worked on it for almost a whole day, got it fixed then had to load it up, so I was 2 days without sleep and scared of falling asleep driving. So kept the speed up to get home quicker and keep the adrenalin up to keep me awake. I had left Abilene, TX at about 2am, and was home in OKC by 6am, and hit the sack and crashed. Got up about 1pm and started unloading.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm surprised it has a cat...I would thing the GVW would be above the limit.
Its a 93 with a GVWR of 12,000lbs if I remember right. It also has 2 lines from the AIR to the CAT, so its a dual bed CAT. I have not replaced it yet since an OEM CAT is almost $600 for the part only. A magnaflow cat that is OEM fit to a T, is like $300. But I have though seriously about cutting the CAT off, then get a Y to go 2 into 1, cuz that is how its set up. 2 Inch Head pipe from left, 2 Inch head pipe from right to dual flange, then the CAT bolts to the flange and dumps out a single 2 /12 or 3 inch. If I can find the right Y, I'd do it. OK currently does not require smog, and hope they never do, but I have strongly considered moving to AZ and I am uncertain if they'd require smog on this truck and that is the only thing that keeps me taking the CAT off completely. Also, I'd have to take the pipes of the AIR pump and figure a way to clog them off too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here is a pic of the CAT. I think this is the Magnaflow aftermarket CAT. But its looks almost identical to the OEM. Not an easy one to just get around.

Attachments

• 39212.jpg
    39212.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 116

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Thats a sweet ride, I would kill for that truck since I move every six months and have been since 2004.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Its certainly nice to have around, and is very multipurpose. That truck has made me an assload of money. And it really hasn't cost me that much in repairs. I change the oil once a year with full synthetic and a Mobil 1 filter. I have no problem putting 10K miles on full synthetic oil with a good Mobil 1 filter. But, I rarely put 10K miles on it in a year anymore, so I just change the oil once a year, and the antifreeze every 3-4 years. Put front brakes pads on and turned the rotors, bought a battery once and thats about it in 12 years until the Cat got clogged, then I did plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter hoping that was the issue. After all that I decided it had to be the Cat and drilled the holes and sure enough that's what it was/is.

Beatdown Z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the CAT. I think this is the Magnaflow aftermarket CAT. But its looks almost identical to the OEM. Not an easy one to just get around.

Ford engineers come up with some weird stuff. Exhaust flanges seem to be one of their specialties. I don't have a clue as to why they have to stray away from traditional round pipe and get all fancy...

I drive a '98 Ford E250 for work and besides all the little repairs I do, it is holding up very good for having 193K hard miles. Original trans and all...

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
If I had the room, I would LOVE to have one of these. I don't care if it's a Ford or a Chevy or whatever. I imagine using one as as "team" hauler for track events and such.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't like admitting it, but I bought this truck as a Ford on purpose. In the Chassis Vans for 93 or anywhere near that year, Ford certainly made a better product than GM. Damn that hurts to even think it, let alone type fit or the whole world to see. But, stronger Chassis, Multi Port motor instead of Throttle Body, and a strong Auto Overdrive Trans since GM at the time had a Turbo 400 and no 4L80 at that time, and when it did come out, it was E model. This Ford trans is a sloppy shifting trans, but its help up to some hell I'll say for sure. (FINGERS CROSSED). Ford had GM litterally buried in this time frame on Chassis Cab market as far as quality. Now, buying a brand new one today, I'd certinly give GM a looking at just.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So I didn't have to give up the Burb this month, and didn't sell the K1500 although it would have been gone in a minute. I rarely use this truck anymore and don't even carry insurance on it. Of all the trucks including the square projects, this is the one I'd give if I had to choose. So I parked it Walmart Neighboorhood yesterday. Before I even got home the 1 mile away, I had a phone call on it. Went back up there to meet the guy. He liked it, but wanted it checked over by his mechanic today. Mechanic checked it out said it needed upper and lower ball joint but good otherwise. The guy got me down on the price some, but being desperate I negotiated back up a bit and SOLD it. Certainly won't rescue me, but will buy me another month. More room in the driveway now.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Wow that was fast HR!