my 81 K10 has a bad replacement carb...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe O

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
We've got a 1981 305 K10 that was modified long ago for snow plowing, and the orig carb was replaced by a 4bbl with huge primaries. We've got it doing very lightweight farm work now, which basically involves lots of idling, frequent start/shutoff/starts, and this current carb setup is not compatible with the use. Recently brought it to a good mechanic who tweaked the carb as much as possible, but it's still very rough at idle.

Can anyone suggest a carb setup (with any required adapters??) more suitable for the tasks?

Joe O

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
We've got a 1981 305 K10 that was modified long ago for snow plowing, and the orig carb was replaced by a 4bbl with huge primaries. We've got it doing very lightweight farm work now, which basically involves lots of idling, frequent start/shutoff/starts, and this current carb setup is not compatible with the use. Recently brought it to a good mechanic who tweaked the carb as much as possible, but it's still very rough at idle.

Can anyone suggest a carb setup (with any required adapters??) more suitable for the tasks?
Pic of current set up would be helpful, and welcome to the site.

Joe O

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the welcome, HK jr. Unfortunately the truck is 200 miles from here, so no photos for a month or two. But will put that on my to do list for next visit.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thanks for the welcome, HK jr. Unfortunately the truck is 200 miles from here, so no photos for a month or two. But will put that on my to do list for next visit.
With out seeing what you got, this goes against my normal thought process but if it's just a farm truck Craigslist usually has Edelbrock carbs on for usually pretty cheap and would probably suite your needs.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Do you know what CFM the carb on it now is?

Joe O

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Don't know CFM of the current carb. The truck was serviced last October but I forget what my mechanic said about the carb. I get what HK jr is saying about being jetted too big, but if the primary throats are as big as the secondary throats, wouldn't it be best to get a carb that is configured for a milder lifestyle than the current one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28