Mud Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cah2873

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I am in the final steps of rebuilding my 1984 K20. It currently has 35x12.50x17 Toyo AT tires and they are nearly worn out. I would like to put the most aggressive tire on it in a radial. I like to looks of the super swamper tires however they are bias tires. I never had bias tires but I read that they are not good for the highway. This truck will be driven in all types of conditions. Mainly county roads , some highway, and possibly an interstate or 2. It appears that I could go with a little wider 13.50 or a little taller 36" tire but I do not see where anyone makes this size. Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks in Advance,

CAH2873

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have to say, there's been way too many comments about bias ply tires not being street friendly (not just here, but everywhere) as a blanket statement. Sure, some are not that great on the road but others do just fine. It depends on the intended usage of the truck.

As a whole, modern truck owners are becoming a bunch of nancies. If a certain bias ply tire fits the bill, it shouldn't be avoided just because it's a bias ply. That may not be the case here, but it does seem to happen a lot. Sorry about the rant.

cah2873

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have to say, there's been way too many comments about bias ply tires not being street friendly (not just here, but everywhere) as a blanket statement. Sure, some are not that great on the road but others do just fine. It depends on the intended usage of the truck.

As a whole, modern truck owners are becoming a bunch of nancies. If a certain bias ply tire fits the bill, it shouldn't be avoided just because it's a bias ply. That may not be the case here, but it does seem to happen a lot. Sorry about the rant.

i agree 100% with you, however my 16 year old son will be driving the truck sometimes and I want the truck to be as safe and stable as possible. For the most part, it will be driven down county road but there will be an occasionaly 2 lane undivided highway running 70 mph.

Oldrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
I have always run BFG mud terrain radials on my square.
The last set of rims are 17's since BFG stopped making the mud terrain in a 16.5 inch. I always thought they looked aggressive enough.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
TSL Boggers. The Iroks are nice as well. I had a set of Hercules Traildiggers on the wife's truck some years back aggressive,radial and we drove that to Dega from PA it drove nicely for an F word. Which ever you decide don't weight balance them Equal is the **** when it comes to balancing big tires.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Bias ply tires handle just fine, nothing unsafe about them. They just wear out abit faster on highway usage.

I've used bias, and radial, and about the only difference I can feel is that bias tires seem abit, I dunno, stiffer, when you turn, there's abit less of that under roll you feel with radials.

Again, I agree with above comments people worry too much about this.

If it's gonna be driven mostly on the road, you probably shouldn't be using mud tires anyhow, they will wear out fast.