Mounting to interior sheet metal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Il check into that, clean truck too, what are your switches by the tray for? They look factory
Most likely a suburban with electric rear window and rear heat or a/c. My suburban has those two options and I have the same switch. There’s different variations though, my 79 has a switch there for the dual gas tanks.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Il check into that, clean truck too, what are your switches by the tray for? They look factory
Thanks, Suburban switches, rear ac, rear window, rear window heater. Non factory switch is for torque converter lock up override

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

Gdub

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Something like this is a tool for every size but they have small installation tools that are like a couple of washers and nuts on some all thread but in my experience once you use nutserts you will find a desire to use them a lot more and justify buying the tool...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TODXQ...TF8&colid=3LUTBGO9U3GNX&coliid=I14SL9B1RT2U29

This one works really well in areas that don't give you room to swing the handles of the manually operated tool. I've used it at least 10 times on my truck for 1/4-20 nutserts/rivnuts (same thing) in various locations:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JBO58FM

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
This one works really well in areas that don't give you room to swing the handles of the manually operated tool. I've used it at least 10 times on my truck for 1/4-20 nutserts/rivnuts (same thing) in various locations:

You must be registered for see images attach

Daddy Likes!!!!!

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size

That's dope, now if only I had 100 bucks.. :D

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I'll find the money. One thing I like about that unit is its got a low toolbox footprint too. I've yet to buy a tool, last time I installed them I used some allthread, and nuts with a small torrington washer and it was a PITA to mess with. I got it done but I swore I'll buy a tool before I go down that road again.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'll find the money. One thing I like about that unit is its got a low toolbox footprint too. I've yet to buy a tool, last time I installed them I used some allthread, and nuts with a small torrington washer and it was a PITA to mess with. I got it done but I swore I'll buy a tool before I go down that road again.
I did it the way you just described when I put the armor on my jeep tub. and your right about it being a pita. When I was at the dealership, we had one for the smaller riv-nuts that was set up like a the Marsen type rivet tool. That worked pretty well.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
I think it would depend on what you are mounting. A fire extinguisher, speakers are one thing, a grab handle or a seat is another.
A grab handle should be good for 500 lbs, your bubba buddy + G forces holding on to a bar should not tear out the sheet metal.
A fire extinguisher holder or speakers would never have those forces(if it did, it would be in a wreck situation)

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I think it would depend on what you are mounting. A fire extinguisher, speakers are one thing, a grab handle or a seat is another.
A grab handle should be good for 500 lbs, your bubba buddy + G forces holding on to a bar should not tear out the sheet metal.
A fire extinguisher holder or speakers would never have those forces(if it did, it would be in a wreck situation)
Very good point, for the grab handles Il be investing in nutserts

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
While we are discussing the idea of this, can anyone tell me if they cab top is double walled or is that a single thick piece of metal on the top of the cab?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The top of my '75 cab is dual wall, and there is open space of as much as an inch between the two metal layers. On trucks with roof mounted clearance lights I think they run the wiring through that space between layers.

Bruce

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
The top of my '75 cab is dual wall, and there is open space of as much as an inch between the two metal layers. On trucks with roof mounted clearance lights I think they run the wiring through that space between layers.

Bruce

yep, good reminder. I had forgotten about that. Thanks. I was looking into a way to mount an overhead console from another vehicle and was thinking about using rivnuts to go about doing it, for the frame work.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Very good point, for the grab handles Il be investing in nutserts
I wouldn't trust nutserts with a grab handle, unless ther are just mounted above the doors for getting in and out of the truck. If it's an Oh **** handle and you are mounting it on the passengers side of the dash, put a piece of flat bar or something similar behind the sheet metal to secure it to.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was looking into a way to mount an overhead console from another vehicle and was thinking about using rivnuts to go about doing it, for the frame work.

I would be interested in what you come up with. My 88 has an overhead console (it's a conversion truck), and I would like to make one for my 80 K20.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8