Monroe shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
that's what I hate about those squarebody fb pages everyone's either a dick and has smart remarks or starts fights, or you get nothing, or just somebody asking if you have some for sale or something. I think I'll do like I always did and ask my questions here.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I haven't read through the whole thread but I'm running Monroe's on both my 87 and 77 and have zero complaints with them at all.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I have been running Monroe shocks for years now with no complaints. Just don't buy the cheapest ones. Gabriels gave me trouble.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Sounds like Monroe heavy duty is the way to go, at least for our trucks. Read where some people don't like them but they had newer vehicles.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I replaced the Blistiens that were on my 03 Burb with heavy duty Monroe shocks and like them much better. FWIW

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
wow first time I ever heard anything better then bilstein.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size

Don't get me wrong, they worked well when on really rough roads and they did a good job keeping the truck under control but when I loaded up for camping and towed the boat or hauled 2,000 lbs of fire wood in my trailer I had more suspension travel than I wanted. I am by no means bad talking them but they werent valved right for my usage of the vehicle. The monroe shocks I installed are much tighter. My ride is rougher but I still consider this mall-crawler a truck....

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

Same here. Bilstein are supposed to be the holy Grail of shocks. I checked them out just for kicks but I can't see spending $90 a piece on shocks when I can get a whole set of Monroe's for just a little bit more. I mean I love my truck, but I just can see shocks being worth that much.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
same here I'l be doing dual fronts, dual rears and dual steering stabilizers too much money for shocks for me. having to buy 8 shocks and then 2 stabilizers

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
that's what I hate about those squarebody fb pages everyone's either a dick and has smart remarks or starts fights, or you get nothing, or just somebody asking if you have some for sale or something. I think I'll do like I always did and ask my questions here.

Yea they're hit or miss, mostly miss lol. But sometimes you do see some good stuff come up for sale, that's how I found the bed and doors I just bought.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Don't get me wrong, they worked well when on really rough roads and they did a good job keeping the truck under control but when I loaded up for camping and towed the boat or hauled 2,000 lbs of fire wood in my trailer I had more suspension travel than I wanted. I am by no means bad talking them but they werent valved right for my usage of the vehicle. The monroe shocks I installed are much tighter. My ride is rougher but I still consider this mall-crawler a truck....

Is the ride rougher in a bad way, or just more truck like, in a good way?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Is the ride rougher in a bad way, or just more truck like, in a good way?

More truck like in a good way. The Blisteins allowed for quicker compression of the springs so it absorbed the road a little better. But small movements allowed for a bit of bounce but not a bouncy ride. More like when I would stop the truck they allowed for a bit more weight transfer and then rebound. The reason I swapped them was because I found he rears were too long and allowed the suspension to droop too far. I found it when I let the rear axle hang and it almost pulled the brake hose off. I decided to replace all four. I would say in general they worked fine but I like the tighter feel the monroe shocks provide.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Well that's good news then. Let me ask this, how can you tell when a shock is bad? I finally put the correct bolts in the top of my rear ones today. While I had them loose, I pushed the piston in, and it stayed in. It had a good bit of resistance going in and coming back out, but I had to pull it back out. Should a good shock rebound on its own? I was under the impression that it should, but I could be wrong. These are rancho 5000s of that makes any difference.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
...Edit. I was thinking they should not rebound on their own but failed to consider the gas charge and that they do expand when taken out of the box and have the shipping straps removed, so your shocks are probably no good.

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
...Edit. I was thinking they should not rebound on their own but failed to consider the gas charge and that they do expand when taken out of the box and have the shipping straps removed, so your shocks are probably no good.

Agreed, the N2 charge is probably gone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128