Meet Charlie, the 1979 c10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tozir

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey everyone, I've been needing to join a forum for my new project truck.

As the title says, it's a 1979 Chevrolet c10 named Charlie, and it's been owned by my grandmother since 1980. She's getting up there in age, and hasn't been able to drive it for a while. Since I have many fond memories of this truck all throughout childhood (I'm 23), I decided I'd try to buy both because I've been wanting a project truck, and because I couldn't stand the thought of it going into the junkyard.
I purchased it a month or two ago for a bit too much I believe, but oh well.
It supposedly is on it's 3rd engine, but original transmission, but it doesn't look like the engine's ever been changed, as it's got a pretty bad valve cover leak. It's a 350, 4 speed manual with a granny low, and a 12 bolt rear end.

I've started small, not wanting to get over my head too quickly, so all I've done so far is replace the differential gasket and fluid and replaced the transmission fluid, though valve covers and gaskets are going to be my next purchase.

However, I did find a deal on tires I couldn't pass up on, even though it didn't really NEED tires, I had to buy them. I don't know what the stock tire size is, but it came with 30 x 9.5 R15, and I found a set of four 31 x 10.5 R15s at Walmart that they couldn't sell, so they were on clearance for $40 a tire. Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/Ts. So yea. I had to.

Anyways, it has a big camper shell on it that I'd like to keep, but it has a pretty bad leak, so that will most likely go away pretty soon. I haven't made up my mind yet.

I've always wanted a 4wd truck, and of course this isn't 4wd, but I'm still hoping I can build it up into something that I can go mild off roading in, so I'll be looking into trying to get a locking differential in it, and at some time, a mild lift.

The truck spent it's whole life up until now in Colorado, so it has a decent amount of rust, including the floor pans, the bottom of the doors, the passenger rocker panel, passenger bottom cab corner, front wheel wells, and some throughout the bed sides. There's carpet in the back of the truck, so I don't know what to expect to see under that, but there is some rust near the tailgate that's been rusted pretty bad. But don't worry, they painted over it! I'm just sure it's fine. -.-

Expect to see posts asking for help with various things as the project chugs along. Finding parts and dealing with gremlins is what I'm thinking. Grandma had my cousins do some shady work over the years.

Thanks for the read, and I'd appreciate any help!
Tozir

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Well.come looks like a good starting point. What ever you do keep the molding.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

Tozir

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've been thinking real hard about the molding. On one hand, I want to keep it because I like the looks of it and all my memories of the truck include it, but on the other hand, they've long since fallen off, and are actually being held on by a mix of sticky puddy, screws, and the original mounting hardware.
And it's been a rust developer right there on the side of the bed, above the wheel well.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I've been thinking real hard about the molding. On one hand, I want to keep it because I like the looks of it and all my memories of the truck include it, but on the other hand, they've long since fallen off, and are actually being held on by a mix of sticky puddy, screws, and the original mounting hardware.
And it's been a rust developer right there on the side of the bed, above the wheel well.
That kinda sucks. It just has classic styling with it. Mine was chromed rubber held on with double sided tape so it's gone now. Only metal part was at the bed corners.

Tozir

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That kinda sucks. It just has classic styling with it. Mine was chromed rubber held on with double sided tape so it's gone now. Only metal part was at the bed corners.
What I'm considering is to get rid of any bad trim (probably all of it, tbh), fixing the holes from the screws, and getting some aftermarket chrome trim from LMC truck.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
What I'm considering is to get rid of any bad trim (probably all of it, tbh), fixing the holes from the screws, and getting some aftermarket chrome trim from LMC truck.
And keep the original look?

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome: Love the truck!!

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Nice base for a project there. I just recently got my Suburban and inherited some reproduction trim parts from LMC truck and I have to say they are cheaply made. I would try to restore or find original trim when possible. Just my opinion on the few parts I have. Good luck with the project, I love that camper shell!

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
Very nice. Camper shells that fit our trucks are hard to come by in decent shape. I just recently found one for my 84 K10.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969