Manual 4l80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I've been hunting around craigslist etc for a 700r4 to swap out my th350 with, but just keep finding 4l80es. I don't want a tcu so I'm going pre 92. But I've found these videos where guys seem to just hook some switches directly to the trans shift solenoids and just shift it manually like that, no hookups for tps or line pressure, it just runs at 100% apparently. If its truly that simple I think I may give it a shot, looks pretty cool

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You could also go full manual with a Transgo III 4L80E reprogramming kit and not have it so cobbled together. I’d hold my horses and wait for a 700R4, though. They’re everywhere.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
that setup looks hokey. I'd go full manual before using light toggles for dip switches.

I haven't found a 4l80e that I like yet, but I just ordered the microsquirt and got it for under the $499 list price. it's supposed to be a cake walk to program.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've been hunting around craigslist etc for a 700r4 to swap out my th350 with, but just keep finding 4l80es. I don't want a tcu so I'm going pre 92. But I've found these videos where guys seem to just hook some switches directly to the trans shift solenoids and just shift it manually like that, no hookups for tps or line pressure, it just runs at 100% apparently. If its truly that simple I think I may give it a shot, looks pretty cool

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That's some funny **** there, lol, there's a lot better way to make it full manual than that, there's a site that has a step by step on it too I'll see if I can find it..

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I have my truck pretty clean rn so if i go that route I'd make it look as factory as I can, probably make a floor shifter that electrically controlled the trans, and possibly use a microprocessor with pwm outputs to control line pressure in the future

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I have my truck pretty clean rn so if i go that route I'd make it look as factory as I can, probably make a floor shifter that electrically controlled the trans, and possibly use a microprocessor with pwm outputs to control line pressure in the future
if you have the time, I'm sure someone here can walk you through reworking a 1990ish factory control module to run a 4l80e stand alone. @Jrgunn5150 mentioned it last week. you could probably use the module from the donor truck that the 4l80e came out of.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If I was gonna do this, I’d pony up for the controller or wait for the 700R4. I know you said you didn’t want to do that, but I don’t care for manual automatic setups unless we’re talking about a race/performance build. Or a Hurst setup in a car that came with them. That’s just me personally, though.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
If I was gonna do this, I’d pony up for the controller or wait for the 700R4. I know you said you didn’t want to do that, but I don’t care for manual automatic setups unless we’re talking about a race/performance build. Or a Hurst setup in a car that came with them. That’s just me personally, though.

Na I get that, I've got a 2 week break in school tho the week after next, if im doing a swap its then or summer, just trying to entertain all possibilities for now.

Anyone know if the 700r4 is a direct swap for a 9 inch tailhousing th350 in a 2wd off hand btw?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Can manual it with microswitches on a floor shifter and small microcontroller for processing tps for line pressure. Or there was a kit as mentioned before that does it internally. Or use early diesel controller for direct plug in, or use microcontroller for full control(there was a project with working code over at the ecu forums) or other ecu converted to stand alone(i believe from ls motors would be the easier one to use)

And correct on 700r4 swap.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I agree. Pony up for the controller. They're not nearly as expensive as they used to be. But look at it this way, this 4L80-E might be almost double a 700r4 build, but you build that 700r4 now, and 1 more time in about a year, or having to baby it to get a bit more out of it, just suck it up now, spend the cash and be done with the transmission for many years and be able to abuse it when you need to without losing sleep. I wish I had your problem only being able to find 4L80-E. Boo hoo, play the violin. :happy175:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
You can buy a 0411 ecm for $35 at local pick a part, send itto someone to have it flashed to only be a controller for the tranny, mount a tps to the carb, reuse stock harness from a truck, just need the trans part and the tps. Google it.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Shame you do not want a 4l60E, I would trade you my 1997 4l60E for a 4l80E if it was 4wd setup.... Hell, I'd even meet you halfway to Arizona... The only question is my 4l60E is one of those, it ran when I took it out of the truck with 127,000 mile setups...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL