LS3 swap thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
Well I've posted on and off in the forum doing research for my LS3 swap in to my 1987 2wd long box. I figured I'd try and maintain a swap thread of sorts.

I'm mechanically inclined but my experience is only limited to one Fox body engine swap, oil changes, minor repairs, and bolt ons. Everything is done in my double car garage. I've got plenty of tools, good tunes and refreshments.

I bough this truck from a good friend for a hell of a deal. It's basically rust free which is unheard of in Alberta. I live in BC and had it shipped there sight unseen for the transformation. It will now live its life out as a dry weather daily driver.

I originally purchased an 04 6.0 LS motor with 240,000kms with the intent of rebuilding it to around roughly 500hp or so at the crank. At the same time I started pricing out the build, I ran across a 2010 Camaro SS 6.2 LS3 for a price I couldn't pass up. The motor was only supposed to have 58,000kms on it although it looks like it has more on it. Oh well. As long as she runs and doesn't burn oil, I'm happy.

My ultimate goal is to have a 500hp fuel injected daily driver that I'm not afraid to take anywhere. It will not be a show queen although it will see the odd car show. I'm building it to drive it and enjoy the hell out of it. :cheers:

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
These were the only pics I saw of the truck before I had it shipped home. Looked clean and the price was right. Supposedly before my friend purchased it, it was farmer owned and this was his baby. I think it must've been stored in a garage or shop most days. :party36:

Attachments

• Snow GMC.jpg
    Snow GMC.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Original front.jpg
    Original front.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
The paint was quite oxidized. I ended up using a clay bar on the whole truck, used a resin polish and machine, glazed and then a few coats of wax.

Here is a before and after on the paint. And the first time she rolled out of the garage. Looking good but...hindsight is 20/20. I really don't think I needed to use the machine. A hand polish would've probably worked fine. And I ended up going a bit deep in the paint in a few areas. It sort of went slightly egg textured in a few areas. Not a biggie, still looks incredible for factory paint and the wax fixed up any imperfections caused by me.

Attachments

• Paint hand trick.jpg
    Paint hand trick.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 299
  • First shine.jpg
    First shine.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 283

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
The old 6.0/4L80E and harness when I picked them up. Ended up selling the 6.0 and kept the trans.

The trans is really the only unknown piece of this puzzle. It has 240,000kms, no rebuild tag, dark oil and some sludge in the oil pan. We'll see if it will get me through this summer before a rebuild!

And yes, I also drive a Ford. Love my Super Duty! :gr_guns:

Attachments

• 6.0 liter in Super Duty.jpg
    6.0 liter in Super Duty.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 6.0 liter harness.jpg
    6.0 liter harness.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 187

Old Painless

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reid
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
Awesome looking rig!!!

Lt1swap.com

That's a really solid resource that lots of folks use. I followed that site almost verbatim, and my swap has been a great daily. Only faults so far have been my own from cheaping out on certain parts.

If you take your time, do plenty of research and are thorough, then it shouldn't be too difficult. My brother and I swapped a 6.0 in about a month - engine purchase to key turn, and I feel like we took our time. Programming the thing is a little overwhelming, but if you've got a local tuner who is reputable, that will make things much easier.

Hell, I was taking multivariable calculus, physics, engineering an English course and working during the swap, and never felt overburdened by it. It's a commitment, don't get me wrong, but with all the help from the good folks in here and lt1swap, looking back it wasn't so bad.

Last edited:

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
Next up was an elevation change. Went with the McGaughy's 6/8" drop. It comes with a notch kit for the rear but I haven't installed it. I can still lower the rear another inch from where it's at. I'll see where everything settles out when she's on the road. Bump stops are removed.

The wheels are 20" Eagle Alloy 225's. I fell hard for these ever since I saw them on a square. Ended up finding these pre owned but new in the box on a local classifieds. Score!

Rubber is 295 on the back.

Attachments

• Front end.jpg
    Front end.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 275
  • Back end.jpg
    Back end.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 299
  • Paint board reflect.jpg
    Paint board reflect.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 265
  • Tire pop can.jpg
    Tire pop can.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
Awesome looking rig!!!

Lt1swap.com

That's a really solid resource that lots of folks use. I followed that site almost verbatim, and my swap has been a great daily. Only faults so far have been my own from cheaping out on certain parts.

If you take your time, do plenty of research and are thorough, then it shouldn't be too difficult. My brother and I swapped a 6.0 in about a month - engine purchase to key turn, and I feel like we took our time. Programming the thing is a little overwhelming, but if you've got a local tuner who is reputable, that will make things much easier.

Hell, I was taking multivariable calculus, physics, engineering an English course and working during the swap, and never felt overburdened by it. It's a commitment, don't get me wrong, but with all the help from the good folks in here and lt1swap, looking back it wasn't so bad.

Thanks buddy! Was definitely overwhelming at first but I've just been breaking everything down section by section and getting her done.

Thanks for the link too. Been utilizing those guys as I can too.

A month to swap in an LS is awesome. I'll have to check out your truck too.

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
The way it should be. Old Brown gets priority of the garage! :rockit:

Attachments

• Priorities.jpg
    Priorities.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 265

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
This book has helped an awful lot too. Nice thing is it has a lot of part numbers for certain adaptors for oil pressure, coolant temp etc. All oil pans and fitment, wiring etc etc.

Attachments

• LS swap book.jpg
    LS swap book.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 244

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
The last time she will ever drive under factory power.

And out with the old and in with the new. Almost hurt to start pulling it apart. It ran sooo good.

Attachments

• Last ride before swap.jpg
    Last ride before swap.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 281
  • Old engine pull.jpg
    Old engine pull.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 300
  • LS3 half in.jpg
    LS3 half in.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 297
  • LS3 out with truck.jpg
    LS3 out with truck.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 304

Old Painless

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reid
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
Thanks buddy! Was definitely overwhelming at first but I've just been breaking everything down section by section and getting her done.

Thanks for the link too. Been utilizing those guys as I can too.

A month to swap in an LS is awesome. I'll have to check out your truck too.

I had some really good help from my brother - he's a mechanical guru. It's not the prettiest truck, but it's my favorite vehicle out of anything I've built.

I didn't spend any time dressing up the engine compartment, so it looks like I slaughtered an '07 1500 and stuffed it's organs in my truck - which I kind of dig the unrefined look to be honest.

Definitely looking forward to your build, keep the pics coming as you go! It looks like you're almost done!

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
keep the old motor if it's the original. Nice work!

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
My intention is to run the cold air intake to the passenger side factory battery tray. The new battery for the LS3 will sit on the driver's side. For the life of me, I couldn't find a part number for the GM diesel trucks with dual batteries. So I built my own battery tray.

I just used a universal tray from the local parts store. For the brackets, I bent steel flat bar. Can't remember the thickness but it will never bend from the weight of the battery. It wouldn't even bend with me standing on it. Other than that, I also used pre made ready rod hooks and wing nuts/hold down tray for the battery. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of that right now. I painted all the steel up in gloss black.

Attachments

• Battery tray top.jpg
    Battery tray top.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Battery tray brackets.jpg
    Battery tray brackets.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
I had some really good help from my brother - he's a mechanical guru. It's not the prettiest truck, but it's my favorite vehicle out of anything I've built.

I didn't spend any time dressing up the engine compartment, so it looks like I slaughtered an '07 1500 and stuffed it's organs in my truck - which I kind of dig the unrefined look to be honest.

Definitely looking forward to your build, keep the pics coming as you go! It looks like you're almost done!

That's awesome. That's the fun of all this is making it our own.

And to be honest, it feels like I'm just starting the hard part now. Wiring and all the sensors and odds and ends. But it's coming. I work two weeks on, two weeks off. Between life getting in the way and parts orders etc, it's taking longer than I expected! But it's been a blast so far.

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
keep the old motor if it's the original. Nice work!

Thanks! I already sold off the original engine, trans and wheels. I was going to keep it all but I just don't have the room. I also jumped the gun a bit and bought new short box side panels. Not sure when or if I'll cut her down yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8