LS3 stock tune but running headers safe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
Hey guys,

My LS3 computer has a stock tune for now. But my motor has a CAI and headers on it. I'll hopefully be firing this thing up on Friday.

Am I safe to be cruising with a stock tune on a CAI and headers or will she run too lean?

Thanks!

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
I would think your maf wouldnt have a problem you definitely get more power out of those parts with a tune but I've never heard of anyone burning a hole in a piston because they ran headers and a cold air no tune

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
I would think your maf wouldnt have a problem you definitely get more power out of those parts with a tune but I've never heard of anyone burning a hole in a piston because they ran headers and a cold air no tune

Thanks man! I guess I should've specified I will be getting it dyno tuned asap but if I can't book an appointment soon, I'd still want to drive her in the meantime.

My Shop Truck

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy Scottsdale 4 X 4
Engine Size
403 Cubic Inch Gen III Small Block Chevy
You will be just fine running on a stock tune file. In fact I'd bet you can even go WOT without issue. The fuel trims in the PCM / ECU will be able to compensate for the additional airflow capabilities of the Air Intake and Exhaust. Obviously getting custom tune will help you optimize things but you should have no trouble driving around on the stock tune file.

Where it gets tricky is when you start adding better flowing cylinder heads and camshafts then a start up tune (at least is needed).

Also as a note: (I'm sure if you have a reputable tuner this will happen) but with long tube headers (assuming your tuner is going to use HP tuners tuning software or something like that) you have to (well you should) turn off the front O2 sensor Slow Response Codes because the long tube headers move the front O2 sensor further away from the engine and (without getting all scientific) heat is a key component in the sensor operation.

Also note that if you don't have cat's on the vehicle, your tuner should turn off all codes and functions of the post cat (rear) O2 sensors as their function is for Cat overtemp control.

Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesardelacadena