LS Wideband O2 sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
LS engines utilize narrow band O2 sensors. I've read that wide band is more accurate. Can you swap out the narrow for wide? I would expect a tune to be involved.

The only instances I'm seeing wide bands being used is for a guage "visual" or during dyno tuning. I'm not seeing anything that says "yes swap in widebands, tune your ECM to read them, and you get XX +/- HP/TQ".

Sorry for my ignorance, lol but I've been reading for hours......I tried.

During that research, I did come across a procedure that measures the A/F out of each cylinder at the head. Each cylinder characteristics being different, this would allow further fine tuning (injectors not perfectly matched, cylinders further from air intake, coil differences, etc).

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
There is a bosch wide band sensor that has both outputs. Regular to connect for ecm and also additional wires can be used for stand alone. I have one on a shelf at work, but do not remember exact part number. Was OEM on late model ford

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
if your ecm isnt compatible/calibrated/(whatever the correct word is here) for the voltage from the o2 it wouldn't interpret it correctly I would think. I have a Holley efi and it connects to an wide band o2 controller to function correctly.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
You can NOT run a wide band in an LSx....

than said, what you can do is program another sensor to do this task. This is going years back, but what they used to do is this... if you want to run an wide band sensor and gauge, they would program something like the coolant temp sensor part of the ecu to read the wide band... you could use an array of sensor, you just had to reprogram the ecu to read it correctly.

this also said, some cars do have widebands in them, but they are newer cars. And the ones that I know of, are not domestic.

My Shop Truck

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy Scottsdale 4 X 4
Engine Size
403 Cubic Inch Gen III Small Block Chevy
Understand that GM's strategy to control fueling is a hybrid method. They use VE and MAF for fueling calculations. When you go WOT the ECU / PCM ignores any feedback from the narrowband 02 sensors and goes off the MAF and or VE table for fueling calculations. Narrowbands are only used for part throttle.

Most of the factory GM ECU's for the LS engines (well all of them as far as I know) use the narrow bands for their fueling. There isn't any factory option out there to control your fueling with wideband 02 sensors. Howeber some of the later ecu's such as the controllers found in the new LT series engine vehicles have factory widebands. Ford does this as well with the coyote in the mustangs (Copper Head PCM)

An option for you to have widebands controlling your fueling would to go with an aftermarket ECU such as a Holley or Haltech or something like That.

If you don't want to do that you can always add a stand alone wideband for monitoring your actual AFR (most of them can be used in conjunction with a tuning interface such as HP Tuners to actually help you tune the engine) howeber it will not affect fueling of your engine Judy running a standalone wideband. I prefer the ballenger motorsports AFR500 V2 wideband. They're nicely priced and highly accurate. I've tuned big power engines with them.

Hope that helps.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force