Looking to swap in a 6.2 into my c10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83_c10

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
For awhile I have been thinking of swapping in a 6.2 diesel into my truck. Right now it has a 305 in it with a 700R4 transmission. 2wd 1/2 ton. What would I have to do to get it in and would the fame handle it? I've been told that a 6.2 is about 800 lbs. I do know that I would need a diesel tank and lines plus the fuel pump and injector pump. Can I use the motor mounts I have already? Wiring is another issued I'm not quite sure of. I know this sounds bad coming from a diesel technician but I am just starting. These pictures are of what it looks like now. Can I use my current battery too or would I have to get another one? I would hate too mess with two Optima red tops lol. :headbang:

Attachments

• 2013-09-17 17.46.24.jpg
    2013-09-17 17.46.24.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 386
  • 2013-09-17 17.46.39.jpg
    2013-09-17 17.46.39.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 295

1984dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
8.1L
6.2's have a lift pump mounted to the block like your small block. See no reason why you can't use your existing fuel tank/s and fuel lines. Clean them out and hook up the fuel pump. Engine mounts are the same. Will need a bigger radiator. Need a filter mounted between the lift pump and injection pump. As for wiring take the existing hot wire to the dist and run it to the injection pump. All other wiring should hook up to alt etc. Should be a pretty simple swap. Front springs may need to be replaced but I see no reason that the frame would need anything.

83_c10

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I figured that. Just couldn't remember everything. I would like to lower it too but one thing at a time.

Mrmi2nc

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
I have an '84 C10 and I would like to put a turbo diesel setup in mine as well. Need as much insight as possible on this swap. Thanks SquareFam

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk now Free

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sounds like a good idea. Have you considered maybe buying a truck that was originally a 6.2 or maybe trading yours for one? A couple things different that don't matter much really, The OEM 6.2 have 2 battery trays. So that should not be a big issue to add. They also have an 80lb PSI Oil Pressure gauge, Gas trucks have a 60lb. The 6.2's also have more insulation and a plastic cover over the firewall to help keep the noise down.

My 85 K10 was originally a 6.2. I'd sure love to be able to go back to a 6.2 in it just for the fuel mileage. It's common to hear of 17-22 mpg with the 6.2's. The trick is, drive it and treat it just like you're wanting it to be a fuel mileage vehicle and it will go for a long time. But they don't like being hot rodded very much. I hear they pull weight well too, just so long as you're not hot rodding it. They'll work, just have to be gentle with them. So I hear.

83_c10

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My truck has an after market oil gauge. Go's to like 100 psi I think. Anyways I am thinking of either getting a new truck that is a diesel or swap diesel in. I am thinking just getting a diesel truck would be best. Now that I have gotten all of the gremlins worked out of my truck. Was debating between a dodge ram or chevy silverado. I don't like working of powerstrokes one bit. 7.3's aren't bad but I just don't like how ford builds there trucks. I like dodge cause I like Inline diesels better but Cummins are freaking heavy. I did start out in a mopar car. Blew it up but what do you expect from a 16 yr old lol. Either way I want a new enough diesel where it's computer controlled. I hate running away diesels and I don't want to experience that ever again.

elstm3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
lynn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30 crew cab dually
Engine Size
6.2 twin turbo diesel
6.2s are a good engine and will last as long as you maintain them and don't treat them like a cummins or a powerstroke.

they are a light duty fuel economy diesel. I just converted my crew cab over to a twin turbo 6.2 from a 454. it was pretty darn easy.

83_c10

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yeah I know that lol. I am sure I could get a 6.2 in and running in nothing flat but my garage is freaking small lol. I would have to put my 305 somewhere and get the 6.2 in and running so I could move the truck cause that bitch is freaking heavy. Those little imports are easy to push by yourself, not this heavy beast. That's why I am leaning more towards another truck that is a diesel. Or get another car. For now it's wait and see what shows up and how much I can put away. What I have in mind is a camaro or a mustang. It will probably be a mustang since camaro's don't last long here. Usually snatched up in nothing flat and it's usually a bald fat guy in his mid life crisis. And the mustangs I find are pretty well beaten up. Either way its going to be a project.

83_c10

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm going to add on to this. I am thinking of building this truck so I can withstand some stuff. Pretty much a home made tank lol. First off that 305 won't last long. I need something that will be strong enough to pull heavy loads but not so massive and hard to work on when it breaks down. Turbo charged of course but not so much for more power but more for acceleration. Pretty much a helper. So I am settling for a 6.2 diesel and turbocharging it. Like I said I don't want massive power gains just enough to help with towing/pulling. I also want to convert to 4wd. I know it takes a lot of work and many have said just buy a 4x4 truck but I really don't have the place to swap stuff off of another truck. With the flooding we had here this summer, it really opened my eyes a lot at how my truck isn't strong enough to move much. Granted it may have more power now since I re did everything on the timing and carb but it won't have enough torque to pull. Lacks top end badly. I do know how much more money it takes to build a diesel up but you get what you want out of it. I just don't want to be in that position again where my hands are tied. The money put into another truck would be more then this project. Plus where would I park it? Neighbors driveway? lol. Looks like this winter I am going to start buying parts for a diesel swap. I do know I need a new engine stand cause what I have only goes to 750lbs and I know a 6.2 is more then that. Well I am sure it's more then 750lbs. Weighs as much as a BBC or more. Another plus for me is I miss the smell of diesel on a cold morning and miss that knock of a diesel running. I do know I will need a block heater so I can get it started in the mornings. I will hook up the glow plugs manually. I already have a switch inside of the truck where I had underglow neons hooked up lol. Yep broke every single one of them too lol. Okay maybe I didn't break them all but damn near did lol. Another reason for a lifted diesel truck. I'll add this in too. I will run stacks.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I sure wish I could come across a good deal on a good running 6.2 or 6.5. My 85 K10 was originally a 6.2 truck. It's been converted to a Gas truck, then I bought it without a powertrain. Just a rolling chassis. If I did that, I'd prolly make it my daily drive cuz I"ve heard of 18-22mpg being pretty common.

83_c10

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yeah those 6.2's are great on mileage. Yesterday I took my truck out on the highway and holy crap, She has power now. Just that timing change changed everything. Start better, runs better, has better power and throttle response. Now I am second guessing myself again lol. I've been doing that way too damn much lately. No leaks, runs strong, and looks good still. I'm leaning to making this truck quite again. I've had that experience of a quite car and well damn it I want something nice. I know my trucks nice but I guess the self centered brat inside wants more. I should go to the rant section now lol. I'm still going to continue on this diesel build. It's just took a different storyline now.

Jhm89

Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
I did NOT read all the posts, so I am sorry for reposts.

I just want to mention that old Camper specials came with two battery trays as well, So if you look at a junkyard, you might get lucky.

I like the idea of a 6.5L TD or newer Turbo Diesel in an old square body. If only I had more income lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I did NOT read all the posts, so I am sorry for reposts.

I just want to mention that old Camper specials came with two battery trays as well, So if you look at a junkyard, you might get lucky.

I like the idea of a 6.5L TD or newer Turbo Diesel in an old square body. If only I had more income lol

I've got all the income I need and even more than I can handle for the last several years. I keep the mailman busy with all those INCOMEing bills.

Yep, a later model 6.5 TB swap should be farily easy to do without all the mods and requirements like a Cummins swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat