looking for new rear springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I am trying to find where is best cost effective to buy new rear leafs for 91 v2500 suburban. My driver side sags 1.5" compared to passenger side. Also, I believe it is currently on stock springs, but would not mind some verification. So far seen dayton and flagg springs as recommended, but they do not appear to be easily purchasable. Would appreciate any useful information.

Here is a picture of the suburban. Tires are stock height

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited by a moderator:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
http://www.babcockspring.com
Heard good things about these guys. I also bought a set for an F250 years ago from JC whitney and was satisfied.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
JC whitney actually does not even show stock rear springs for v2500 suburban. Another reason I am not fully sure if existing springs are stock is the height appears to be same as my old v10 suburban with 2" lift. Not sure if 3/4 suburbans are 2" taller vs 1/2 suburbans

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Looks like you could use a couple of inches in the back anyway. Why don't you throw a couple of add a leafs under the back?

Usually the back springs are at least a 4" lift to get after market springs. That thing looks like it needs a bit of a lift anyways.

How about 2 1/2" springs in the front, and then some 4" springs in the back. That should level it out from sagging in the back.

Drop the transfer case 1" and you should be good to go.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Anything over 2 1/2" in the front needs to have a steering geometry correction of some sort.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
for what it's worth I did the rough country add a leafs on a 96 Silverado and was very pleased with the increase in ride height. I didn't notice significant change in the stiffness of the springs.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
The main problem is the different height in the right to left in the rear. Passenger rear is actually 1/2" higher than the front. I like the height it is at, just not sure if it is currently stock.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
The main problem is the different height in the right to left in the rear. Passenger rear is actually 1/2" higher than the front. I like the height it is at, just not sure if it is currently stock.

Well, you could take both packs apart and swap leaves from left to right and see if it helps......

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
How did you measure it? Sorry if I missed it somewhere

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
How did you measure it? Sorry if I missed it somewhere

Ya good point. You have to measure from the top of axle tube to the frame. Obviously front and back will be different at the same ride height.

All things equal, No sagged body mount bushings and no flexed or bent frame and properly lined up body panels. The front wheel well to the ground should be exactly 1" higher then the back wheel wells. And obviously side to side should be equal.

It doesn't take much of an uneven surface to throw all your measurements out of wack!

Stock height on the front wheel well should be 37" from the ground to the center of the wheel well.

And I double checked my truck with non sagged 6" Superlift springs is 43" and a wee bit, So 37" is indeed factory height.

Last edited:

MannyDantyla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sbc350/sm365/np205
I recently had a local spring shop make me some springs. KC General Spring. $70 each. I was able to drive over there and pick them up, saving me like $60 in shipping charges.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
took a couple of measurements and basically driver side springs sag 0.5" in the front and 1.2" in the back. Also found an answer to previous question regarding v1500 vs v2500 height. V1500 with 2" lift will be about the same height as a stock v2500. Within next two months will be looking for new stock set of springs. Also, while looking at other information found the engine in v2500 had 30 less hp in exchange for better torque curve in low rpms

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Not sure if you'd be interested or not and maybe shipping would kill the deal but when I lower my 87 my stock springs will come out. If you want them I'd sell them. I'm still collecting parts for the project so it'll still be a couple of months before they are available.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
FWIW, I've fixed this thread @yevgenievich and updated your Avatar too. I still haven't been able to locate your build thread for the Burb. That one I am concerned about and would hope you can find the patience to fix that one.

This thread only had 3 pics to fix and it's a royal PITA and I'm pretty sure when I upload the pics to the GMSB server to fix the thread, then those pics will against my pic quota. I've not yet figured out how to move pics off of me to another member. I know we have a high quota unlike most forums, and mine is probably even bigger yet being an Admin, but if did this for all the threads, I'm sure I'd run out too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito