Looking for info on dealer installed air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peppers41

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 scottsdale
Engine Size
1993 454 TBI from a Pacearrow motorhome
Hello this is my first post so forgive me if this topic has been talked about before. But I've finally got all my leaks sealed and my a.c. worked great for a glorious day then it lost its cool. I can't see anything flowing threw the sight glass on the dryer like I could when I first filled it. But it still kinda cools a thermometer I stuck in the vent read it at 70 degrees on a 78 degree day.... I'm wondering if the expansion valve has gone bad it was always slow about putting Freon in. I know it uses a sanden compressor bit that's it. My gauge shows it way past the red with the compressor disengaged. But shows almost nothing as of tonight with the compressor running. I'm gonna see what happens if I add a can tomorrow. but just in case Does anybody have a source on a parts list for this setup or do I just have to take stuff off and match it up. I work at a parts store so bonus points if anyone has part number that I have in stock!
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I've run into that kind of thing before when I try to charge using the parts store freon cans. It always comes out wrong.

It's because the cans only deal with one side of the system. When you look at the pros and how they charge an A/C system, you should notice that they use 2 gauges with multiple valves etc. This is to ensure that both sides of the system stay balanced.

I almost blew up a compressor doing what you are talking about. Almost the exact same symptoms (it was a Dodge, but same basic concepts). When I finally took it to a local shop the guy was amazed I had not blown every seal out of the system. So he did a full purge, flush, and leak check, then correctly filled it with new Freon and it was perfect and icy cold until the day I sold the truck.

I'd take it to a local shop and have them put the professional gauges on it. And I would not turn the A/C back on until you do so. Last thing you want is compressor "black death" in your system.

Do it right. Do it once.

Peppers41

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 scottsdale
Engine Size
I'll take it to my buddy today he has a robinair machine see what the scoop is on it

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
First off, welcome to the forum, and you have a very sharp truck. Did you pull vacuum on the system when you got it buttoned up to make sure it was holding? The safe approach whenever the system has been open like that is to replace the expansion valve/orifice tube and receiver-drier/accumulator right off the bat, especially the latter since it has desiccant in it. Some people won’t do this unless they’re replacing the compressor and don’t want to void the warranty, and sometimes you can get away with it. I don’t feel like this is one of those cases. Either that or it’s still got a leak somewhere. Did you put in any UV dye when you charged it? That’s how I find leaks in anything. Also, you can borrow manifold gauges from the parts stores. I agree that using a low side gauge doesn’t give you the whole picture, and I’d be worried about overcharging, too.

Peppers41

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 scottsdale
Engine Size
Ok so I took it by my buddy's shop today and took the lines off replaced the o rings on the lines and blew them out and a whole bunch of uv dye and oil came out about enough to fill a 20oz coke bottle apparently before she was mine granddad and my dad had been using the Freon with all that mixed in and now that all that's out off the way we hooked it all back up and pulled a vacuum on it and it held for about 15 mins and then started leaking down I should mention that this is one of those old systems that use actual hose clams instead of crimped lines so I changed out the ends and pulled vacuum again and she held so tomorrow I'm gonna take it back by and charge the system and see what the results are.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
So how did it go? Got cold air again?

Peppers41

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 scottsdale
Engine Size
Not yet there's couple of lines leaking at the dryer back to hose clamp problems I can male a.c. lines at work so I'm gonna make some new ones next week when I get paid then vacuum and charge and we will try again

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Don't forget that you'll need to add some oil back to the system when you do.

Wyomingite

Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
1/2
Engine Size
Just went through this myself. I also have a dealer installed system and recently got some info on it.
Found the company that originally built these systems and was able to contact them. Sounds like they have moved more into the export side of things since then but the gentlemen I talked to, Mark was his name, said they are still selling parts and can help get the system functional again. Mine also has the hose barb connections. They will most likely need converted to o-ring since I cannot find components anymore with the barb connection. The evaporator under the dash will be the issue. Will just need some conversion fittings for that I suppose. Anyway, give these guys a call. They have been very helpful in getting me info on the dealer installed system and even have full parts lists, wiring diagrams, vacuum diagrams, etc....

ARA Manufacturing-Grand Prairie, Tx
Part # 0507928
214-693-6192

http://aramanufacturing.com/index.php/contact-us/

Peppers41

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 scottsdale
Engine Size