Long read....Grab some popcorn..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ok....Went Friday evening to give the yellow squarebody a thorough "look-over"..took it for a test drive, and took it back to the guys shop...Below is a list of **** that wasn't "as advertised"

Found several spots of "rust bubbles" under the paint in the cab corner/rocker area...and a couple of spots on the front fenders/rear fenderwells...couldn't see these by just glancing at the truck..(In about a year or so, these spots woulda been really noticeable)..I examined these areas really close Friday due to the fact that his ad said "Rust Free Body"...

The evening of the test drive, the choke on the carb wasn't working properly causing it to idle at around 1200 RPM....No biggie..easy fix, but after the test drive, noticed that there was oil being pushed up through one of the intake bolt holes...and there was also indications of a coolant leak..He then admitted that he tried fixing these issues, but couldn't..(new intake/carb woulda fixed it)..After the motor warmed up, there was an odd knock on acceleration.....The transmission shifted fine from 1-2, but the 2-3 shift was a slipping, surging shift....Truck with a rebuild under 5K miles(according to him) shouldn't have these problems...

Looked to be a faint crack on frame where the power steering bolted on...Front suspension was ****** at best....The front end had so much play, that it was almost scary to drive it above 65...
Adding up all the costs to fix things was just not worth it to me..

So after spending a majority of this weekend driving in a car looking at vehicles, we ended up taking home this '92 25th Anniversary Z-28...owner had it for 8 years..only put 20k miles on it during the 8 years, and just was tired of it sitting in his garage....there was about an inch of dust on the car...inside and out...I just did a quick clean-up of it to get a general idea of how much polishing/buffing is going to be needed this spring...(which I will do a write-up on)...

All in all, it was a long ****** weekend that did nothing but make me tired..I will try to get more pictures up as I go along....Thanks again for being patient, and sorry to disappoint about the square.....just wasn't worth it.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 92 Z28 003.jpg
    92 Z28 003.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited by a moderator:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Dude!!! Sorry about your luck but that is a kick ass Z28 in it's own right! I still want my ride along !!! :)

:handshake:

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Dude!!! Sorry about your luck but that is a kick ass Z28 in it's own right! I still want my ride along !!! :)

:handshake:

:lol:...Thanks!..You summed it all up right there O77...."My luck" just totally sucks, but I know things will turn around someday....

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
That Camaro looks awesome, I am sure if you really want another square body truck you could put that on craigslist and get some good offers.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
nice looking z.

don't ya just love it when they say rust free but you see it or bubbles? I'd rather see the rust cause bubbles ends up being swiss cheese and pin holes everywhere and is always at least a inch or two bigger all around then the first sign you see.

NO WAY would it be worth his price I would have told him $1,500 or so and been done with it, but frame cracks and steering play, no way too scary. Play wouldn't be bad just a hundred dollar front end rebuild.(DIY) part cost only. But steering box frame crack he'd have to give it away basically.

Intake oil seepage around the bolts, how would that be fixed with an intake? I've had that for years now with a brand new intake and new gaskets twice, plus they always say that it works it's way up the threads, and at one point I had rtv on them to fix it, but after a valve job I didn't put any back on. I don't pay it any attention.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That Camaro looks awesome, I am sure if you really want another square body truck you could put that on craigslist and get some good offers.

That's what I told my wife....I can invest some money that was saved from the deal, and turn around this summer and make a little from it. I haven't seen any other 25th Anniversary Z-28 Camaros around here in years, so it would be an easy sale......

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
nice looking z.

don't ya just love it when they say rust free but you see it or bubbles? I'd rather see the rust cause bubbles ends up being swiss cheese and pin holes everywhere and is always at least a inch or two bigger all around then the first sign you see.

NO WAY would it be worth his price I would have told him $1,500 or so and been done with it, but frame cracks and steering play, no way too scary. Play wouldn't be bad just a hundred dollar front end rebuild.(DIY) part cost only. But steering box frame crack he'd have to give it away basically.

Intake oil seepage around the bolts, how would that be fixed with an intake? I've had that for years now with a brand new intake and new gaskets twice, plus they always say that it works it's way up the threads, and at one point I had rtv on them to fix it, but after a valve job I didn't put any back on. I don't pay it any attention.

I should have known when he was so eager to drop the price $900 from his original asking price.....Plus the fact that it's been listed since the beginning of January should have been another indicator...I'm sure he will drop the price even more, and somebody will grab it.....It just won't be me......:)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Good Job though !!! That's the way to be a buyer and look over the details. Buyers remorse sucks, so you did the homework to avoid that. :waytogo:

Uhhh Camaro, looks good in the pic. But, uhhhhhm, I see a kitty cat in the pic. That car, and Kitty Cat don't mix. I'm thinkin if you love Kitty, better keep it outta the garage or it might be dead Kitty Cat after you see what a Kitty can do to black paint.
I thought I was gonna kill a neighbors cat once on my brand new truck. The cat was on the hood of the truck. I chased it away. No big deal. The next day, I seen the cat leap trying to make it onto the hood of this slightly higher 4x4 truck. He didn't quite make it, and I heard his claws digging into my paint as he slid down, and then took another leap and made it the 2nd time. When I went out to run the cat off, I had 2 claw marks, 1 from each paw where the cat dug into the paint trying to hold on. I was so pissed. Went and got the neighbor and told her to come look at my fuggin truck. She said her cat didn't do that, her cat don't get on cars and trucks. I said BS, I sit there and watched it do it. I was pist enough, but her attitude threw me over the edge. I was ready to kill the cat. I told her, I am a nice guy, I love animals, but I am not tolerating destruction of my vehicles. So here's what's gonna happen and you have nothing to worry about since your cat don't get on vehicles. I am putting a bowl of rat poison on the hood of my truck. Your cat stays off my truck, no problem. Your cat gets on my truck, good night kitty cat. Never seen the cat again until they moved and they carreid the cat out in a pet taxi. Obviously had turned it into an indoor cat. Good thing they did too. I paid $40 to have the scratches buffed out best they could be. They still showed up down the whole damn fender, but at least weren't eye soars after I paid the detail guy.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The other thing is, you can always find you another cheap square and build it the way you want it. Just keep your eyes and ears open, let all your buds and family members know you'd buy one if its cheap enough. I have acquired many of my cheap deals cuz people that know me, know I buy those squares if cheap enough. Some people don't have a trailer to get it to the scale, so someone to pick it up get it outta their way and put a $100 in their pocket, they are happy and so am I.
I like to buy them cheap, then repair them to my standards with my idea of quality parts, then I know its done right. Like buying suspension parts. I don't buy Auto Zone or O reily brand ball joints and tie rods. I go to Advance cuz they carry Moog parts. More expensive but worth it. Anyone ever buys one of my vehicles that I have worked over, you can be assured the quality will be there.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh well, the Z28 looks very nice. '92 is a hard year to come by, especially in great shape. They are also starting to bring good money again.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Anyone ever buys one of my vehicles that I have worked over, you can be assured the quality will be there.

Well then, get busy and build up a mid 80's SB so I don't have to deal with the crap around here.....:roflbow:

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Oh well, the Z28 looks very nice. '92 is a hard year to come by, especially in great shape. They are also starting to bring good money again.

Thanks.....It needs to be buffed out, and I will do that this spring. I plan on doing a tutorial in the style of our famous "89Burb"....:)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well then, get busy and build up a mid 80's SB so I don't have to deal with the crap around here.....:roflbow:

hahahah, I ever get 1 complete its for me. Next one will be for my son. Then if either of us decided we wanted something else, we might sell. But at may age, my projects tend to get a little more sentimental to me now unlike when I was younger. Especially with health ailments and feeling lucky to be able to do some of these things. I really just want to get my projects consolidated so I can concentrate on my projects and get 1 completed. And now I am considering a $500 Burb for parts to make my 88 Burb the way I want it. I might just be better off to buy a 89-91 4x4 Burb and work it over instead of building my 88 from ground up. Although, the 88 Burb would be like new if I did it. New body bushings, all moog suspesion bushings and parts etc. That's what I wanna do. I want a NEW Squarebody Burb and Truck. And I want a K5 Blazer too. So I might just keep my 2WD 88 Burb the way it is and not deal with that 4x4 conversion. To many options and choices and not enough funds and time. :yucky: I'm worse than a bitch when it comes to changing my mind over and over. Also why my posts about the **** end up so long, cuz I am thinking outload as I type. Probably boring the hell outta everyone. :roflbow::roflbow:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
looks aweful good to me w/o a buff.

I bet you could turn it for 4-5k easy. Maybe more then that, hit up the thirdgen guys on their forum and sell it.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
The main thing is you keep posting up here even if you don't currently own a square! You're one of us now :waytogo:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave