long bed to a short bed??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boogiedown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
1985/1977
Truck Model
Silverado/c-10
Engine Size
350/350
how hard and how complex is it to change a long bed to a short bed? i know there would have to be some frame cutting and other stuff, gust how much?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Aside from the frame and bed of course you'll need a smaller gas tank, shortened driveshaft, shortened brake line and fuel lines, and you could get by with just wrapping up the excess wiring going to the back. It might be easier to find a shortbed parts truck and swap your stuff on it, and stronger too. Cutting the frame gives me nightmares.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
how hard and how complex is it to change a long bed to a short bed? i know there would have to be some frame cutting and other stuff, gust how much?

Might be easier to just get a shortbed frame. I've seen them for under $100 on the local CL and last time I was at Budget Wrench in Temple there was a SB 4x4.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
If you're cutting and welding a frame you'd better know what you're doing or you'll end up with a basket case. As c4 and retro said you might be better off finding a short bed frame :waytogo:

DesertBob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350M/LT9
The Trucks show on Spike TV did this to a 66 Chevy Truck. It was quite involved but doable. See if they have a CD for this series. The Truck turned out sweet.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I knew a guy in my hometown that shortened a 67-72 truck and it was 3/4 ton. The truck got used as a wood hauler so its possible to make it strong. If I remember correctly some magazine I was reading featured a long bed truck they cut the frame on, for a bed the ordered every part out of a book and assembled all the bed pieces themselves. If you cut down the bed you have to cut it in front and behind the wheel well.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't like the idea. IF you really wanna know, fire up a discussion or ask Flamingo10 to come in this thread and give his opinion. He did it and now is rebuilding the truck once again with the correct frame instead of the cut long bed frame that he will now likley scrap.

Boogiedown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
1985/1977
Truck Model
Silverado/c-10
Engine Size
350/350
Will that frame work for a 2wd?

rogerz53

Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
v30
Engine Size
The guy who cut my long bed down into a short bed, used diamond plate over the weld. He had a professional welder do it. He told me it wasnt that much money and it was quick. I own the truck now 7 years after the cut down. And its still going strong. If you want more info let me know and I will call the guy for you.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't think you HAVE to cut and weld the frame, as long as a stock appearance is not a priority. Just cut the rear spring hangers loose, move them further up the frame, drill new holes to bolt them on, mount the new shortbed, and then just whack off whatever frame is left sticking out. I just don't know how much clearance that would leave on a 2wd. Might only work on a 4x4.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Big truck frames are cut all the time, I say go for it. Worst case senario if you start having problems then get a swb frame, but if its cut and welded right the first time its done.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
the way the frame angles I don't think moving them up would work.

tons of guys have cut the frame and z'd it basically for more weld area, then got a short bed to put on or even bought short bed floor and sides from lmc and made their own short bed with all new stuff.

Saw one guy cut his long bed down floor and all and frame and weld it all back up to be short bed, tons more work but it worked. probably cost him next to nothing.

SO IMO....

alot of work and little to no cash,

or tons of cash and hardly any work to the bed, mostly just frame.

next would be swap frames or buy a short bed truck to build/use

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
The TV show Trucks on Spike, cut the frame on there (I think it was a 65 Chevy) it started life as a Long Bed, and they made it a Short Bed. I think you can go to Powerblock.com and look at past projects.

One of my Truck Mags here a few months ago took and 87 Crew cab and made it a short bed, I would love to do that. I'll see if I can find the issue, and tell you what one it is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg